Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thoughts on M*A*S*H

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
edited January 2015 in Off Topic

I was doing a bit of channel hopping last night when I came across M*A*S*H, it was the episode when Klinger was trying to get a Section 8 and Hawkeye and BJ were trying to stitch up the other one. Anyhoo I really enjoyed watching it even though it didn't raise even a tiny titter out of me. Then I thought back ... have I ever laughed at M*A*S*H? Has anybody? The people in the canned laughter department thought it was hilarious though.

Can comedy be unfunny yet still great to watch?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Haven't seen it for years, but whilst great it was never really a laugh out loud comedy. Didn't the use an edit without the laughter track when it was broadcast over here in the 80s (or whenever it was I saw it).
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15582
    was never really a belly laugh comedy, more a soap I guess. I really enjoyed it, and the early episodes had some bite to them. It went on waaaay too long and did that thing that all US sitcoms do and become syrupy and cloying towards the end, but still really enjoyed it. I toy sometimes with buying the box set.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I used to watch MASH regularly.

Never really found it humourous, but did enjoy the characthers.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24470
    Loved it.

Gentle humour, cutting sarcasm and some social comment on the evils of war.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched it, thought it was great.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I think they must have used a version without the canned laughter… I detest canned laughter and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked the show as much as I did if it had it. (Or at all.)

It was never laugh-out-loud funny, that's not the point. It's very bleak and black humour mostly, and some of the more serious points were intentionally not funny. I remember one in particular where Hawkeye was being assessed for what we would called PTSD these days, and it was quite dark even by comparison with things you seen in drama about Iraq and Afghanistan.

It did go on a little too long, but not that badly by many standards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    The version I remember didn't have a laugh track, and when I eventually saw one with canned laughter I found it really jarring.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    It was just an excellent series, especially in the earlier years.  I saw it when repeated on one of the Freeview channels, but it had the canned laughter, which made it unwatchable.

Very smart and cynical and not afraid to show the true consequences of war. The episode that always sticks with me is the one where they ran out of painkiller and resorted, after much debate to try using placebos on a wounded soldier... riveting stuff with Hawkeye battling with the ethical dilemna.

I keep promising to treat myself to the Martinis & Medicine DVD collection.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Never really got into the series, but the film is an absolute classic.

All practice and no theory
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    It was fairly radical when it came out - we really only had the likes of Terry & June then, and 'Til Death Us Do Part was the only edgy comedy on TV.

Alan Alda's Groucho Marx impersonation ground on me in the end.

When Mclean Stevenson (Col Henry Blake) was replaced by Harry Morgan (Col Potter) it was inspired casting and gave the show a needed boost, but when Larry Linville (Frank Burns) left it was downhill all the way.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    I enjoyed rewatching it a couple of years ago on the free sky chanels, became a go to for a while. They did a special when it ended about the actors etc. and said it ran for more years than the real 'police action' in Korea. They got so that any cast member could put forward a script idea and guest writes got to do episodes until essentially they had done it all and the new ideas seemed like rehash of earlier episodes so it ended. There can be few equals for long running soaps like it.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Used to watch it avidly at the time. Jal is right, it was much better with Col Potter and much worse when Burns went. I suspect it hasn't weathered well though.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    boogieman said:
    Used to watch it avidly at the time. Jal is right, it was much better with Col Potter and much worse when Burns went. I suspect it hasn't weathered well though.
    It's somewhat like Dads Army in that it can't look too dated because it is a period drama, humour on the other hand does go through 'fashionable' phases.

• More social commentary on coping with war, loss and separation that comedy.  Excellent series, with great actors and some good writing.

• I hate canned laughter but it would be pretty funny to secretly replace the laugh track on something prior to release with one person laughing really sarcastically and perhaps occasionally slow clapping.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    It was originally broadcast in the UK without the laugh track, Alan Alder (spll?) has said many times how much he prefers the version shown here.
    I liked it at the time, wether I would now dunno.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    I used to sit and watch it with my dad. It showed me war was hell and how to make a good martini. I remember the movie making me laugh. Radar was the man!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2015
    It's being re-run on True Entertainment and I watch it whenever I can. 

Thing is, they're showing them not in the completely correct sequence. Someone might correct me but... 

Superficial reflections:

1) This is still one of the very best sitcoms produced anywhere 

2) When it's bad it's so-so but never I think outright garbage

3) It seemed to start off as a gag-fest (the canned laughter is a clue to this) so that in the first few series with Trapper John, Henry Blake and Frank Burns, they're averaging 3/4 one-liners per page of script (normally delivered by Hawkeye, natch) in addition to other gags

5) Later versions all ditch the canned laughter

6) Towards the end it definitely becomes more of a rounded comedy-drama and an ensemble piece. In early progs I always thought it was an out and out gag fest with most of the other people there as foils for Hawkeye. 

Later on with the arrival of BJ, Winchester and the softening and rounding out of the character of Hotlips it became more of a comedy drama. 

7) Overall I love it and could watch it all day. 

8) Which is why the box set would be a very tempting purchase that I DARE NOT MAKE!!! 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    When I was young it was pretty much the best quality show out. Saw one recently with the canned laughter and it was unwatchable. It was never going to be laugh out loud as it was based in a reality type scenario. Thank goodness we didn't have the laughter track in the UK.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i never found it funny, although there were funny parts to it.

but i dont think anyone making the show was trying to make it funny. it was a really depressing and real view on war and what happens to people at war...but to make it lighter and have it on TV so they can get the message accross; they put into a dark and depressing enviroment, a bunch of funny characters.

i think the genious was in the way they had polarising characters to themes.