eBay rant....

What's Hot
So I listed an Engl cab for sale on eBay.... It's a big heavy 4x12 with birch ply.  

A guy from Italy messages me to ask for a quote.   I didn't really fancy sending it to Italy as I've had trouble with international shipping before.  Anyway, I gave him a quote from TNT of £300 (the cab weighs 45kg's).  He didn't reply. 

A few days later the listing finished with this guy as the winning bidder.  I looked around and found a quote on interparcel for £150 based on smaller dimensions so I'd need to squeeze it into a smaller box. I let him know all the details. 

Anyway, 7 days later and no payment or replies to my messages.  He may have done this before - no way of knowing now you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer!!
This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24470
    The only time I've successfully sent a 4x12 abroad was to Poland - and that's because the buyer worked at a haulage firm - he got a massive HGV to come and pick it up - it was empty apart from my cab! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    You should have listed it on here! :D
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7906
    edited January 2015
    I've sold internationally on eBay before, won't do it again.  Massive hassle, and I always end up losing money on shipping.  Then, you get ripped off at the other end, by dodgy thieving buyers claiming impossible damage. Paypal always takes the side of the buyer, result is, given it away for free.

I only sell in the UK now, and where possible, I personally deliver.

100% positive on all 800 auctions.

I now strictly sell to the UK mainland only, and I always do a 10 day auction starting Thursdays (you get two full weekends of eBay browsing), ending on a Sunday night around 9pm (past kiddies bedtime, but not too late).  Works a treat.  Well worded (yet concise) description, and quality photos are everything.  

Marlin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015
    I absolutely hate the fact you can't exclude certain countries in EBay listings.  I know this isn't completely relevant to your situation but I've sent stuff to so many different countries - Australia, Latvia, Argentina etc. and the only country I've consistently had problems with is Italy.  The moment it's an Italian bidder it stresses me out.  Their postal system is notoriously bad and buyers also exploit this to pull a fast one.  One guy tried to make a claim for an Amp 11 I sent him then suddenly dropped his claim of not receiving it when I informed him that as my mother was Italian I knew his town well and would speak to relatives to chase up the post that end.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    the only country I've consistently had problems with is Italy.  The moment it's an Italian bidder it stresses me out.  Their postal system is notoriously bad and buyers also exploit this to pull a fast one.  One guy tried to make a claim for an Amp 11 I sent him then suddenly dropped his claim of not receiving it when I informed him that as my mother was Italian I knew his town well and would speak to relatives to chase up the post that end.

I know. Try getting horse's heads delivered on time in Italy: it's such a nightmare.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It does seem Italy particularly has a bad rep with Ebay buying and selling.  I don't have any issues with sending my guitars and amps around Europe as (so far, and it has been a few years now) I have not had any problems.  I won't use Ebay again however for any bigger ticket items.  Buying and selling on here I am less worried about.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Yeah Italy is notorious, I also did not sent any thing to Italy when I used eBay, just not worth it, @MattFGBI I would cancel the transaction, it's clear this chap does not want the cab, and it will save you a lot of worry and hassle!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Every country will have it's own dishonest chancers, but I have found that it does seem to be some thing of a national sport in Italy, India and Israel. (maybe it's a I country thing).

I've had claims for non-delivery till I pointed out that they could use the tracking data and suddenly the claims disappear.
    I've had claims for stuff not working so rfund and they'll keep the gear. I insist tht it will be shipped back on my expense and only then will I consider a refund - problem disappears!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7906
    TheMarlin said:
    I've sold internationally on eBay before, won't do it again.  Massive hassle, and I always end up losing money on shipping.  Then, you get ripped off at the other end, by dodgy thieving buyers claiming impossible damage. Paypal always takes the side of the buyer, result is, given it away for free.

I only sell in the UK now, and where possible, I personally deliver.

100% positive on all 800 auctions.

I now strictly sell to the UK mainland only, and I always do a 10 day auction starting Thursdays (you get two full weekends of eBay browsing), ending on a Sunday night around 9pm (past kiddies bedtime, but not too late).  Works a treat.  Well worded (yet concise) description, and quality photos are everything.  

Marlin
    Also ripped off by an Italian.

Can't rant too much, my wife is italian!

Grrr

M.
  • Italy is a magnificent country but their postal and courier services are a disaster.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    randomhandclaps;486966" said:
    I absolutely hate the fact you can't exclude certain countries in EBay listings.  I know this isn't completely relevant to your situation but I've sent stuff to so many different countries - Australia, Latvia, Argentina etc. and the only country I've consistently had problems with is Italy.  The moment it's an Italian bidder it stresses me out.  Their postal system is notoriously bad and buyers also exploit this to pull a fast one.  One guy tried to make a claim for an Amp 11 I sent him then suddenly dropped his claim of not receiving it when I informed him that as my mother was Italian I knew his town well and would speak to relatives to chase up the post that end.
    I thought you could

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I know. Try getting horse's heads delivered on time in Italy: it's such a nightmare.

They seem to have no trouble delivering dictators to lampposts though. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom