Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Turn off the WiFi on your mobile

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24415
...when you're not using it, if you don't want to be tracked.

Actually, don't bother... they can already track you from the mast signals.

Today I've been learning about public WiFi systems - the kind that they have in shops / cafes etc.  The amount of data these things are capable of collating is amazing.  I was logged into a management portal for a chain of retail outlets that also offer free WiFi in store.  As your mobile is constantly polling for open WiFi networks, all WiFi access points in range hear it, and log the Mac address and phone details - whether you are in the place that offers free WiFi, or just happen to be walking past outside.  I was looking at graphs of which phones were seen on a regular basis, how long they stayed in the area, when they often return etc.  This is without you doing a thing or even knowing of the store's existence.

If you actually use the free WiFi facility, your privacy is generally toast.  Many of these places ask you to sign in via Facebook - and in a microsecond your name, and those of your friends, everything you have about yourself on Facebook is logged and recorded.  They (the retailer) now knows your name, age, gender, preferences, and now they also have the mac address of your phone so they know when you are anywhere near any of their stores.  If a retailer has this information, you can bet your arse the security services have access to a huge number of such networks, thereby rendering your location largely traceable 24h a day - should they be interested.  However, they've always been able to do that with mobiles using basic triangulation using three cells.  Once your phone can see three masts, your location is known.

I've always known mobiles are traceable, but today I was blown away by how easy it is.  If you think that MI5 are after you, take the tinfoil hat off your head and wrap it around your bloody mobile !
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I use the WiFi in Tesco, because there's a weak mobile signal. I bet they do that on purpose.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    I turn my wifi off to save battery
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you heard about the latest way modern dating apps can help you stalk somebody. All you need is three sperate IDs and a bit of leg work.
    Find somebody in your area. Your told say they are 1KM away. Use a second ID walk around a bit and try again. Again you get a distance reading. Do it again you get a third reading. Now you can triangulate very accurately.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Have you heard about the latest way modern dating apps can help you stalk somebody. All you need is three sperate IDs and a bit of leg work.
    Find somebody in your area. Your told say they are 1KM away. Use a second ID walk around a bit and try again. Again you get a distance reading. Do it again you get a third reading. Now you can triangulate very accurately.
    OK... you've tried?
  • Was mention in the register yesturday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Axe_meister;488188" said:
    Have you heard about the latest way modern dating apps can help you stalk somebody. All you need is three sperate IDs and a bit of leg work.
    Thanks for that, my weekend is now going to be very busy!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2015

• It's a system that Experian sell. My mate was telling me about it. It goes far deeper than that now. 

Have you noticed that when you're looking for something online, shortly after you start seeing adverts for what you were looking at pop up on your facebook feed as well as ebay etc. 

The new thing which will be rolled out soon is adverts that are aimed specifically at you. So when you're sat watching Coronation Street, your set of adverts will be different to your neighbours etc. It's all very interesting stuff. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    A friend of mine was on the jury for a kidnapping trial in 2014. Pretty much the evidence for the prosecution was plotting were the gang was according to their mobile phones over the days involved, triangulating their position minute by minute from the masts.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72518
    A friend of mine was on the jury for a kidnapping trial in 2014. Pretty much the evidence for the prosecution was plotting were the gang was according to their mobile phones over the days involved, triangulating their position minute by minute from the masts.
    As far as I understand it this - as well as intercepts of the conversations, which are technically inadmissable as evidence - is part of the reason the police know exactly who is responsible for the Omagh bombing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15592
    don't have a wifi phone (heh, barely have a phone as it is, only turn it on a few times a week at most, no mobile signal in the bunker). The illuminati/lizard people/PTB are gonna have to work a whole lot harder to get me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Of course any criminal (who isn't a complete spaz) will just buy a PAYG burner phone and not use wifi or anything like that.

The argument the government use to justify ever increasing surveillance is complete nonsense (notice it happened after 9/11, again after Lee Rigby and now again after Charlie Hebdo, yet it's never enough) and it annoys me that people swallow it. @d8m 's Big Brother pic is bang on the money.

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    They're trying to get backdoor access to every online message service now too. Bloody charming. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2015
    stickyfiddle;488419" said:
    They're trying to get backdoor access to every online message service now too. Bloody charming. 
    Aslong as we keep our backs to the wall we should be ok.

All a bit panopticon for my liking though.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Yeah, be very cautious if your doctor suggests a prostate examination .......
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited January 2015
    What I want to know is who's monitoring all this info? I'm thinking it's probably contracted out to a fully-staffed BT call-centre in Mumbai, or Kabul.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15592
    nah, it'll be some check shirted hipster marketing types in some soho new media marketing agency, looking for novel ways to convince you to buy shit you don't need.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• All done by bloody big in memory database and analysis systems.
    Systems I'm putting in can analyse 6billion rows of data in just under a minute, send alerts
    to specific employees or email customers with latest offers that are relevant to them. 

• It's a system that Experian sell. My mate was telling me about it. It goes far deeper than that now. 

Have you noticed that when you're looking for something online, shortly after you start seeing adverts for what you were looking at pop up on your facebook feed as well as ebay etc. 

The new thing which will be rolled out soon is adverts that are aimed specifically at you. So when you're sat watching Coronation Street, your set of adverts will be different to your neighbours etc. It's all very interesting stuff. 
    That's so retarded, advertisers presumably paid a pretty penny to spend a month advertising 5" monitors to me on facebook *after* I already purchased some from here. Those ads are actually less relevant to me than any random ad they might decide to run.

The whole pay per click industry is pretty retarded in my view.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Why have WiFi on all the time, save your battery. Same with locators only on if you use the sat nav app or the running app. Use disposable email/google accounts for everything phone related.
    Never bank or buy online from a phone device.
    Turn it off when you don't need it.

It may be inconvenient once in a while but being stalked or having your details stolen is a might more inconvenient.