Using your own cloud

What's Hot
The likes of MS,Apple,google are all building their OS's/Apps to sync to their own clouds so you can share info/apps/etc between devices. Great idea and all that, but I don't particularly want to use/pay for their services, especially as I have a nice home cloud attached to a fibre broadband connection with 20mbs upload speed.

Doing a usual search "use you own cloud instead of <insert cloud name here>" or "use you own cloud instead of OS vendor cloud" and there is nothing that comes up.
Obviously all the OS vendors want your valuable data to be able to target add at you and suck even more money out of you, but surely there must be an alternative way?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's not really your own "cloud" - not in the strictest sense of the word. However, various NAS companies provide cloud-based tunnelling access to a NAS box in your home...I know QNap's boxes are pretty cheap and do it (Jaden set his up that way).
    <space for hire>
  • I already have a WD mycloud that I can access remotely. Just would be nice to be able to select that rather than, icloud or onedrive or googledrive (what ever its called).
    No doubt these cloud services have some sort of database/logic behind them for the synchronization features. So using your own storage is probably not going to ever happen (unless you are a corporate with tight security requirements)
  • Yeah - that's what I meant, I just had a brain fart and hit "Post" before I included that bit of information...

<space for hire>
  • The thing is you need to then manage your cloud - backups, upgrades, increase capacity, connection reliability etc.
    Those tasks are pretty much the same for everyone, so the big guys provide that platform as a service (PaaS).

And economies of scale mean they can do it better and cheaper.
  • The thing is I do all those things myself anyway.
    My NAS is the hub for all devices in my household, every PC gets backup up to it. It backs up to a USB drive that is cycled on a monthly basis.
    So far on fibre broadband I have not had a single drop out (old ADSL connection was a bag of shit).
    Yes they may do it cheaper, but that means better profit margin for themselves, it is not necessarily cheaper for the end user, where purchasing a NAS or Pi with a USB drive attached, may well work out alot cheaper in the long run.

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    I read the title and thought it was about monkey magic, sorry not got anything useful to add.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom