Blues Cube EJ `tone capsule`

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 915
It`s not April already is it? 

Given it`s not can`t wait to hear the vids for this - he only seems to put his name to stuff he likes and uses..........

www.rolandus.com/promos/tone_capsule_ej/
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LevLev Frets: 228
    Wow, wasn't expecting that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Wasn't expecting that either - an amp that does nice jazz clean tones, and EJ type tones? - that has to go on my GAS list, I want one!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    This amp is soooo in my amp list anyway. Just waiting for it to be launched soon. Hopefully it night be at the guitar show in Birmingham in february :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    Am I correct in thinking after reading that article that one could add the EJ tone capsule at a later stage as a separate purchase etc?
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Want! Looks cool, sounds cool.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    hotpickups;488558" said:
    Am I correct in thinking after reading that article that one could add the EJ tone capsule at a later stage as a separate purchase etc?
    That's how I understood it. Presumably there may be further artist plug ins over time. I don't think I'd seen the socket for this mentioned in any of the previous bumf on the new blues cubes.

This is clearly based on the more expensive Artist model, not the Stage, so I don't know if it will work in that.

I don't think this actually means EJ will be using a Blues Cube for recording and gigs of course!

Not that I particularly want to sound like him but the idea of some further plug ins based around different artist sounds seems good.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I think it sounds cool and seems to nail the EJ sound - of course having him playing through the amp helps a lot.  It's a great idea.  
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 915
    hotpickups;488558" said:
    That's how I understood it. Presumably there may be further artist plug ins over time. I don't think I'd seen the socket for this mentioned in any of the previous bumf on the new blues cubes.

This is clearly based on the more expensive Artist model, not the Stage, so I don't know if it will work in that.

I don't think this actually means EJ will be using a Blues Cube for recording and gigs of course!

Not that I particularly want to sound like him but the idea of some further plug ins based around different artist sounds seems good.

That`s what I understood too - although I was a little confused as I thought the Blues Cube was basically an analog solid staate amp, with dsp reverb, but the release seems to be saying they changed the dsp processing? Who know, sounds really good to me!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I can't decide whether having the 'tone capsule' look like a valve is pretty cool or pretty naff - the jury's out.
    The skeptic in me also can't help but think that having to buy an additional module is a bit of a money making ploy as on other amps (like THR or line6) you can just connect a USB to alter these kind of settings on a PC, so I'm not sure how much is just marketing spiel.
    (it also doesn't help that I don't know what Eric Johnson or his tone sounds like!)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562

If it is true, and they haven't moved  April the 1st forward, then this seems a bit 'Nintendo Cartridge' to me. 

Ok so making the "capsule" look a bit like a valve is funky, but haven't we now got used to down loadable updates?

Didn't Randall try, (possibly still does) some thing like this, a base amp with plugin preamp modules to change the character, interesting in principle but our local Guitar shop has had one for ages and didn't seem to be able to tempt any one.

newi123 said:
    hotpickups;488558" said:

That`s what I understood too - although I was a little confused as I thought the Blues Cube was basically an analog solid staate amp, with dsp reverb, but the release seems to be saying they changed the dsp processing? Who know, sounds really good to me!

analog with digital reverb IIRC. So this is something like a plug in pre-programmed EQ I guess. There is a USB port on the Cube but I think that's for recording out rather than for data in.
    ROOG said:

If it is true, and they haven't moved  April the 1st forward, then this seems a bit 'Nintendo Cartridge' to me. 

Ok so making the "capsule" look a bit like a valve is funky, but haven't we now got used to down loadable updates?

Didn't Randall try, (possibly still does) some thing like this, a base amp with plugin preamp modules to change the character, interesting in principle but our local Guitar shop has had one for ages and didn't seem to be able to tempt any one.

I agree. I think I'll be sticking to the standard set up and work on getting my own sound etc. Nice idea though
    BigMonka said:
    I can't decide whether having the 'tone capsule' look like a valve is pretty cool or pretty naff - the jury's out.
    The skeptic in me also can't help but think that having to buy an additional module is a bit of a money making ploy as on other amps (like THR or line6) you can just connect a USB to alter these kind of settings on a PC, so I'm not sure how much is just marketing spiel.
    (it also doesn't help that I don't know what Eric Johnson or his tone sounds like!)

this is a product aimed at every middle aged white man in America with a guitar and a garage. Those guys know what Eric sounds like!
    Or at least they'll have seen him praised in the glossy guitar mags and be thinking this must be good then.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3347
    Sounds like an interesting concept and I like the sounds for EJ, but as @BigMonka says, it's a bit a of pain in the arse having to fork out more money for signature tones. TC got it right with their free Toneprint option, however, as someone who owns a Microcube, Cube 60 and Bass Cube 120XL, I'll certainly give this a whirl!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Either way - I think that sounds rather great, actually.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 915
    analog with digital reverb IIRC. So this is something like a plug in pre-programmed EQ I guess. There is a USB port on the Cube but I think that's for recording out rather than for data in.
    I read it again and it does seem to be saying that the plug in `tone capsule` is the dsp bit, which then controls the analog circuitry in the amp. Interesting! A very different approach to other modeling amps I think............
    I wonder if the Stage (60 watt) will have a slot for it too
  • LevLev Frets: 228

In the article linked above he's pictured with both Blues Cubes so it would be very misleading if the capsule only works on the 80w.
    ...and really annoying if it didn't. Then I would think they are being money grabbing bar stewards
    Lev said:

In the article linked above he's pictured with both Blues Cubes so it would be very misleading if the capsule only works on the 80w.