SWARTS

JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
Anyone have/had a Swart AST Pro or AST Master? Got the GAS for one (again). Interested to hear thoughts from current or past owners. I have some nice old Fender amps already...wondering if the Swart stuff is sufficiently different. Am a fair hike from Coda, so trying one out on a whim isn't easy. Steers appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tweedy...but not as harsh as a tweed deluxe can be...nice early breakup if you really dig in and they clean up nicely when backing off onthe volume,the trem is great too..str tweed breaks up quickest.the atomic space tone is my favourite as it has a bit more clean headroom.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I've had a few in the workshop and wasn't overly excited by them to be honest, either sonically or from build quality.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    I didn't like the one (AST Pro) I tried either at all. It had an overly midrangy tone that couldn't be dialed out. I tried it with a Heritage G12H-30 as well as the Gold it came with, the H30 was better but not enough to make me like it. Sounded nothing like a tweed Fender really - I can see where limpymcginty is coming from about it being less 'harsh' than a Deluxe, but to me it was an odd combination of smooth and strident... both of which I hate. Horrible to me, but each to their own - I know there are people who love that sort of sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have to say I really like them but I do own an AST so admit to being biased. Just the right sound for me..very Creedence  We're all different and are seeking different tones, I like the breakup and twang.. I cant get on with Boogies and Marshall's despite having owned 2 of each. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Thanks all. V useful. There's no way round a trip to Coda though, is there?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    I have to say I really like them but I do own an AST so admit to being biased. Just the right sound for me..very Creedence  We're all different and are seeking different tones, I like the breakup and twang.. I cant get on with Boogies and Marshall's despite having owned 2 of each. 
    Absolutely! My favourite amps are Marshalls (some) and Mesas (not Boogies), but I also like Tweed Bassmans and Deluxes.

On paper I thought I would have loved the Swart - a Tweed-style amp but with reverb. But there was just something about the tone that really rubbed me up the wrong way.

But, I know there are many people who feel the same about my favourite amp of all time - the Mesa Trem-o-verb - so that doesn't mean much other than that they're really different...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9622
    John, I played a (second hand) Swart at Coda last week... Very very nice ! I would visit Coda, and Im sure Doug will give you his usual excellent service. I purchased a Carr Sportsman. Mind blowing, it really is...
    Love Carrs. I have a Viceroy actually. Fantastic thing. That reverb and trem on the Swart AST is what's doing it for me though. Only heard it once in person a couple of years ago and did a proper double-take. Yep, will have to get down there. You still got the RedPlate?

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9622
    Yep mate, still got the Redplate...

love and hate at times with it, but incredible live.

Im a huge Carr fan though mate... How do you find the Viceroy John ?

Lovely. Warmer than the Rambler (no trem, though...pity), which I liked but found a bit hi-fi, a bit too clean for me. Viceroy has a drive control which just adds warmth rather than giving you any serious breakup (not at home volume, anyway). Huge-sounding for something so small. 33 watts, steps down to 7. Great little all-rounder. Nice bloke, Steve Carr - have emailed him a few times and he comes right back with useful advice