Aluminium dust caps

thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
Anyone ever had a go at changing the dust cap on a speaker before now?

Am debating whether to change one or not. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Slightly obvious question: why?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• One of them is damaged. Upon testing with a Fender Jaguar (hum buckers), the speaker was buzzing. Don't seem to get it with the same volume on 3 with a strat though. Upon inspection there are a few wrinkles in the dust cap on one of the two 12" speakers. I've read that it can impact the sound if there are cracks (I haven't checked that yet). 

Hence I thought I'd ask others as these are pretty sought after speakers so would rather not have to replace one. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    You can pop the dust cone back into shape with one of those stick on things from a windscreen phone holder or the end of a kids arrow etc but don't worry about the shape that much it's not vital. However they are glued onto the cone and if the glue were to fail  the cap might vibrate against the cone, toughing the 'dome' whilst it's working might indicate if the buzzing stops.
    Removing the dust cap requires patients and a steady hand with a razor blade to cut/separate the cap from the cone before glueing the new one on.
    Before you try that, have you verified that the cone and coil are not at fault? Spread your hand/finger tips over the front of the cone and gently push it in. (quite room required) You might here grating as the coil touches the sides of the magnet groove. In this case nothing but a full re-cone or replacement speaker will get rid of the buzz and further use will eventually lead to total failure as the coil wears through.

• Thanks @ESBlonde

It more wrinkled than dented unfortunately. Have tested the coil isn't rubbing too. Need to investigate more thoroughly, but having to enforce giving my ears a rest for a few days :-(