Recommend me some Radio Shows

What's Hot
lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
As above. I sit in work with headphones in my ears for 90% of the time-drowning out the girl behind me's voice for one thing and because I don't like talking to most of the people in my section.

I usually listen to music which is great, but even I can't sit and listen to it all day every day, week in week out-what good talking shows are out there? Drama's, Documentaries, Science, Comedy Shows or whatever I'll listen to anything.

Cheers

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Now Show is my favourite. Closely followed by I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. Not usually broadcast during office hours, but probably available as downloads.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    The Now Show is my favourite. Closely followed by I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. Not usually broadcast during office hours, but probably available as downloads.
    Wisdom, The Now Show is the best thing on radio. An awful lot of the 18:30 comedy on radio 4 is worth a listen, 'The Unbelievable Truth' and 'Just A Minute' can be fab too (depending on the panelists).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • compliment returned ;)

I also like 'The Unbelievable Truth' and 'Just A Minute' :). The News Quiz isn't bad either
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Radio 4 extra has a nice mix of comedy, drama and the odd documentary. Radio 6 is interesting for music, you get a very eclectic mix of classic/new stuff. Arrow on DAB is good for straight rock with no DJs or adverts. And another wisdom to Phil for his R4 choices, although Just a Minute is now ruined for me by Jack Dee's brilliant pisstakes of Nicholas Parsons on ISIHAC.

>:D<
  • Jack Dee is nothing like Humphrey Lyttleton, but he has become a very good replacement for him :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27648
    A quick scan of my iTunes podcasts reveals ...

- Coast & Country (r4)
    - Comedy of the Week (r4)
    - Documentary of the Week (r4)
    - Drama of the Week (r4)
    - The Economist
    - More or Less (behind the stats r4)
    - General Knowledge Quizzes (r4)
    - The Skeptics Guide to the Universe
    - TEDTalks
    - The Infinite Monkey Cage
    - Tom Robinson Introducing (r6)

Depending on your technology, DoggCatcher is a great podcast downloader on Android.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    It's music, but I absolutely love radio Paradise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nice one, i used to listen to Radio 4 when I drove a lot, some good suggestions, will look into them cheers.

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Anything on Planet Rock!

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2015
    James O'Brien on LBC 10 till 1 every weekday. Top broadcaster. 

I would have recommended Radio 5 with some reservations a few months ago, but its going even further down the bog lately. 

Radio 4 I always find good between about 7:50 am and 8:25am in the morning. The rest of its output I can live without.  
  • Another vote for More or Less on Radio 4 - debunking some of the bogus stats you hear in the news.

Radio 4 are currently dramatising GF Newman's Crime and Punishment novel about criminal life in London from WW2 onwards - they're on the second series, a mix of fictional and historic characters - worth a listen.

The Museum of Curiosity on R4.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.

Radio 4 I always find good between about 7:50 am and 8:25am in the morning. The rest of its output I can live without.  
    7:54. Then you miss Thought For The Sodding Day; usefully used to coincide with the time that I was moving 'twixt house and car to go to work ;)

• IanSavage said:

7:54. Then you miss Thought For The Sodding Day; usefully used to coincide with the time that I was moving 'twixt house and car to go to work ;)
    TFTD seems to be the slot inhabited by Sikhs Jews or Christians asserting that they don't believe that all muslims are terrorists, and by muslims claiming that the terrorists aren't real muslims. I wonder how many listeners are getting up in the morning, hear that and think Yeah right, time to pop into the bathroom, this'll be over by the time I'm done.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2015
    IanSavage said:

Heh, heh, heh. Exactly my friend.  ;)

I also get to miss the unbearably pompous (IMO) sports reporting on that prog. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Thought for the Day and the Archers were on my commute to and from work respectively many years ago....Not my favourite output from R4....

• From the BBC: 
    The Kermode and Mayo film show is excellent- it's ostensibly about films, but once you get to know all the in-jokes etc it becomes more than that. It's 2hrs a week too, so kills most of an afternoon's lab work for me.
    I also quite like Fighting Talk- A comedic sports panel show. 

lloyd said:
    Thought for the Day and the Archers were on my commute to and from work respectively many years ago....Not my favourite output from R4....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ttv3QzHXE
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

the 6.30pm radio 4 slot is usually on during my drive home.

+1 for 'The Unbelievable Truth' and 'ISIHAC' and 'The Now Show' in fact most of it is good.

I like Henning Wehn in 'The Unbelievable Truth' mind you he was made for radio, or as he likes to call it "zer Raadeeoh" I'm sure he could do a complete show on "What the Germans did for us"

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    the Go on show
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    edited January 2015
    hootsmon said:
    the Goon show
    sorted by Eccles
    tae be or not tae be