Can we have a space war pretty please!

What's Hot
Recently I have really had the urge to be blown to pieces by aliens, I really wish we could have some epic space war so I could fulfill my dream!

Come on Branson get on with it and annoy some passing aliens so we can have some fun.
Old Is Gold
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    when we find our way into space, the aliens ain't gonna know what's hit 'em. Buncha pencil necked pansies gonna get splattered right up the firmament.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm kinda hoping the earth gets obliterated, Id like to be vaporized or something funky!
    Old Is Gold
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Where are the Vogons when we need them?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What about a Independence Day style alien war? Eventually singlehandedly won by a patriotic (and insane alcoholic) american man
    edited October 2013
    Myranda said:
    What about a Independence Day style alien war? Eventually singlehandedly won by a patriotic (and insane alcoholic) american man
    Didn't Jeff Goldblum fry their computers by uploading a virus into them from a Mac? Instant suspension of disbelief fail. Not because you can't get a virus on a Mac but because you can't get it to talk to anything else! (Or at least you couldn't back then...)

I actually liked about the first half hour or so - in particular when the City Destroyers separate from the mothership, that was quite impressive. (Even in CGI.)

But the entire movie was basically stolen from a single image... I had this book as a child so it was quite stunning to see it so shamelessly nicked on the big screen.

(That's from 1955, if I remember right.)

For even more trivial trivia fans, they copied the alien attack on the airbase from Tora Tora Tora! (Pearl Harbor, but done properly) as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sorry Americans are banned from this war! Preferably they would all be wiped out before having a chance to speak.
    Old Is Gold
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    I'd like to think WW III will be started by Belgium.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    I love those early Arthur C. Clarke books. "The City and the Stars" in particular captivated me when I found it in the school library!
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    How about some Babylon 5 starkillers or the Crusade nanovirus plague, maybe even a horde of maniacal Technomages.

Love Arthur C Clarke books and what not. But IIRC did he not have a Jimmy Savile type stink following him in re activities when in Ceylon/Sri Lanka.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649
    Myranda said:
    Come on girl...  why not a patriotic and insane alcoholic lesbian ?  Why do hetero men always have to get the glory ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    If the aliens ever decide to invade, there's a huge army of gamers ready to take them on.

Cirrus said:
    I love those early Arthur C. Clarke books. "The City and the Stars" in particular captivated me when I found it in the school library!
    That's one of my favourites too. I think it's one of the most imaginative things ever written, especially considering when it was.

johnnyurq said:

Love Arthur C Clarke books and what not. But IIRC did he not have a Jimmy Savile type stink following him in re activities when in Ceylon/Sri Lanka.
    I don't think anything was proved - rumours and suspicions, which he denied - certainly nothing like the same as Savile. Even if true I don't think it detracts from the quality of his writing. (Which I know is probably not a politically correct thing to say.)

If the aliens ever decide to invade, there's a huge army of gamers ready to take them on.
    They'll all be screwed unless the aliens operate in a carefully constructed virtual world which allows them to win though...

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Surely a zombie apocalypse is more fun than aliens?

surely

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    octatonic;47261" said:
    i got Luxemburg in the sweepstake

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Surely a zombie apocalypse is more fun than aliens?

surely
    Perhaps it's all about the probing?
    mike_l said:
    octatonic;47261" said:
    Aww, that's got to suck I heard they're going to referee !
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Myranda said:

mike_l said:

octatonic;47261" said:

Aww, that's got to suck I heard they're going to referee !

Bollocks. :-S

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    ICBM;47450" said:
    johnnyurq said:

I don't think anything was proved - rumours and suspicions, which he denied - certainly nothing like the same as Savile. Even if true I don't think it detracts from the quality of his writing. (Which I know is probably not a politically correct thing to say.)

@ICBM

Oh no I agree if it is even true then he was not even close to being in the same league as Savile, he deserves his own special level of sex crime perpetrator.

Just interesting to note that had he been alive now he would for sure have been added to the growing list and persecuted whether guilty or not, I should have added my context but was distracted.

I agree though as horrible as these allegations are (spurious or not) it doesn't diminish his works or legacy.