The Euro project

What's Hot
So, how long can the EU mandarins keep the patient alive? It must be in intensive care right now, surrounded by anxious relatives.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So long as I don't have to pay for its healthcare or its funeral, I don't care.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15581
    like all fiat currency systems, it'll be kept alive for as long as we keep agreeing to take on and pay off more debt.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    It's a real shame John Major's idea of a European currency in parallel but separate from the national ones instead of replacing them wasn't adopted - it would have had the same advantages of a common currency but with a way to deal with the problems of divergent economies.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    As Vim said. Whether that means Greece being part of it remains to be seen. If your German or Finnish then it works really well.

Basically under a Fiat system countries of floating currencies that behave with a degree of fiscal sanity have strong currencies and those that don't have week currencies. While intervention (currency controls, pegs ect) can work in the short term they create imbalances.

The Euro requires southern countries to tighten their belts and deregulate their economies or all of the euros will just flow north. Southern red tape is ridiculous. I've waited 5 months for a gas connection down to lazy, useless civil servants. Your meant to ask permission to change your kitchen. Ect ect. Germany works somewhat better, so without a currency adjustment Spain loses competitiveness.

They can't kick Greece out of the Euro without military intervention, although how it's government would function without EU cash is a moot point.

German politicians don't habitually steal millions, Spanish ones do. The idea that a strong currency over which Spanish politicians have no control is a good one in principle. The problem has been that they fiscal discipline required a massive crisis and is now provoking social rupture.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    like all fiat currency systems, it'll be kept alive for as long as we keep agreeing to take on and pay off more debt.
    This ^^ ... the Euro will survive as those in power within the EU cannot afford to let it fail.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!