RIP Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream)

ICBMICBM Frets: 72525
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30965708

A hugely important and influential musician.

An important part of my childhood and interest in music...

RIP

:(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I read that .. sad. One of my favourite bands.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yes- I only found this out yesterday. I was a bit shocked.

I love those really early spacey Tangerine Dream albums... I think I shall go and listen to Phaedra 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72525
    edited January 2015
    I only found out today. Only 70 too, that's not old these days.

I'm listening to Force Majeure right now. I've got my whole TD collection on shuffle...

Phaedra
    Rubycon
    Ricochet
    Stratosfear
    Cyclone
    Force Majeure
    Hyperborea

I should really get more, I had a couple of the later albums at one time, and I've never explored the pre-Phaedra stuff.

For what it's worth this is one of my favourite album covers too, for it's incredible three-dimensional texture (it's actually a normal flat print on the sleeve, it just looks 3D) as well as the image, and is the work of Edgar Froese himself…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    That's sad. Willie from the west end hotel was a massive fan and introduced me to them with ricochet when i was 13.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11953
    I used to listen to them a lot
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I always found their music incomprehensible.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I bought 2 albums many years ago (vinyl!) and really loved them:

Encore (live album) and Force Majeure

Years later I got a 'best of' double CD, thinking it would be an instant hit with me, and I basically hated all of it!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72525
    axisus said:
    I bought 2 albums many years ago (vinyl!) and really loved them:

Encore (live album) and Force Majeure

Years later I got a 'best of' double CD, thinking it would be an instant hit with me, and I basically hated all of it!

I think their music works best when you're in the mood to listen to a whole album, more than just about anyone I can think of. A 'best of' will inevitably be disjointed and jump around too much.

There was a period when I went off them as well, when I started becoming much more obsessed with song-based music to the exclusion of more or less everything else, but I rediscovered them after a while and found that it was still good, just different.

Hehe, I love being in the mood to listen to 'Electronic Meditation'!

Is Encore the one with Coldwater Canyon on it? That knocked me out when I heard it- great guitar.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    The Tangs and Froese We're a big part of my 70's and 80's music. Wasn't it great when you had electronic music that did not expect you dance to it, just chill and immerse yourself. Said the grumpy old man. Probably still have a collection of german synth music in the loft. Definitely Aqua an experiment in binaural audio. Epsilon in Malaysian pale and other nuggets. As said earlier Coldwater canyon off Encore is a triumph of using guitars and synths. We all change as we grow but they were certainly a big influence on me back in the day.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4041
    edited January 2015
    Well, here we go, I guess this is the start for me.  Up till now no RIP has had an emotional impact, just an abstract, "oh, so-and-so's died."

The first gig I ever went to was Tangerine Dream.  I loved their music, grew up with it.  First instrument I ever wanted to play was a synth, not a bloody guitar, and TD was totally the reason for that.  And these days I listen to far more synth/ computer created music than guitar music.  As it happens, now I think about it, it's like the years of learning guitar and listening to guitar music was the aberration.

I had wondered who'd be the first RIP to upset me.  I didn't think it would be Edgar Froese!  But it is.

Definitely feel sad at his passing.  Something that was important to me, still is too, has gone.  But just had the thought:  it's not like I knew him.  All I ever had was his music, and I've still got that.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Saw them in Glasgow in 1978, Cyclone tour.  They were very good live.

It's grim when you get to the age which all your Hero's start dying.

ESchap said:

It's grim when you get to the age which all your Hero's start dying.

Hmmm... I'm running out of them. Which is worrying!
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Sad news that, spent many a teenage happy hour or 20 stoned or tripping listening to them.