2 x NAD Weekend - Part 1..... & Now Part 2

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
edited January 2015 in Amps

Having a bit of an amp overhaul so have two new amps heading in this weekend.  Collected the first yesterday from @Gassage who kindly smuggled it out of ISIS controlled Birmingham (All facts verified by Fox news) as well knowing I was looking and setting up the whole deal.  It's a Hiwatt Custom Studio/Stage and oh my is it lovely.  Stacks up beautifully next to my Fender but more solar plexus rumbling cleans instant Who style clean crunchiness when realy, really pushed.  The Studio/Stage bit stand for the fact it has a 40w or 20w setting but it's of no significance as I say 'go loud of go home' - which is actually where I was playing it but still, 40w FTW.

As well as obtaining a truly awesome amp I could help but smile when I saw this sight heading towards me -

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/mobilityscooter_zpsb4b1677b.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    Yup- and I managed to grab a pic of RHC playing it later that same day...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't usually like having me photo taken but you've caught me well there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage;492614" said:
    Yup- and I managed to grab a pic of RHC playing it later that same day...
    I feel like I've found a long lost brother.

Seriously though, I reckon I'd really like one of these amps. Does it sound good at low volume too? Or is that outside of RHC territory?
  • No, not at all.  Just that I find most amps with multiple wattage setting lose something cool when stepped down, or though this drops two valves out rather that pentode to triode mode.  It actually gets in to great fat tone territory at surprisingly low volumes.
  • So first it was one on these yesterday -

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/alt-cdn/hiwatt/images/product/14/52f1104e3fc4b.jpg

And today it was followed by this -

https://www.orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/AD30-H_10468.jpg

I am absolutely chuffed.  The Hiwatt is an amazing amp and I am loving having an Orange back in my life - always regretted flogging mine.  Have had a splitting migraine all day but the opportunity to let rip on both of these was still too much to resist.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2388
    Nice :D I liked the one I tried.

LOL at the initial post/pic :D
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    brilliant stuff congrats, hiwatt do some really great amps I had a dr103 for a long time and verruca regret selling that.
  • Cheers folks.  I've literally only just stopped playing between the two.  The Orange's cleans can't touch the Hiwatts and the Hiwatts drive is totally unique and punchy.  That said the Orange is incredibly versatile (much more than my old OTR) and is so reactive to your guitar settings.

I saw an interview with Earl Slick where he said the AD30 allowed him to use one amp for the whole Bowie catalogue and access so many sound from just changing or adjusting his guitar.  I see what he means.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Congrats, not often you get to celebrate a dual NAD!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    edited January 2015
    HNAD Brother Clap!
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    @randomhandclaps superb GAS. Love that AD30TC, always wanted tone.. i may end up getting on soon (dibs if you decide to move it on). All you need now is a lovely clean amp and you have a sensational rig
  • randomhandclaps;492675" said:
    No, not at all.  Just that I find most amps with multiple wattage setting lose something cool when stepped down, or though this drops two valves out rather that pentode to triode mode.  It actually gets in to great fat tone territory at surprisingly low volumes.
    I absolutely agree! Big master volume (or even non master) amps often sound wonderful at low volume. Just wondering how these faired :)

I'm insanely in awe of your nads. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    Lovely Orange- what cab?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    Lovely Orange- what cab?
    I'm on the look out for one.  I'm not sure whether to get an Orange or a Zilla.  I think it's definitely going to be a 2x12 though unless I see a 4x12 cheap.
  • bigfuzz said:
    @randomhandclaps superb GAS. Love that AD30TC, always wanted tone.. i may end up getting on soon (dibs if you decide to move it on). All you need now is a lovely clean amp and you have a sensational rig
    He has a hiwatt
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bigfuzz said:
    He has a hiwatt
    Precisely.... plus a lovely Fender.  Both have awesome but very different cleans.  I feel I can call @meltedbuzzbox a 'Hiwatt brother' now.
  • does that make you the filling in a meltedbuzzbox @Gassage Sandwich then @randomhandclaps
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    bigfuzz said:
    He has a hiwatt
    True @meltedbuzzbox but I would still GAS for a tweedy number with Fender-y cleans.. 3 amps isn't too much right?
  • I would take a hiwatt over any fender tweed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigfuzz said:
    bigfuzz said:
    He has a hiwatt
    True @meltedbuzzbox but I would still GAS for a tweedy number with Fender-y cleans.. 3 amps isn't too much right?

No, I have decided that 4 is exactly the right amount.... time to shift a couple.