Whiplash

What's Hot
Not what you claim to squeeze more money out of insurance companies, but the film.

See it. Phenomenal, best film of the year so far. Exhausting!

That's all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24530
    Jazz forums are hugely upset with it!

For that reason alone I have to watch it - and I like jazz!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    My woodwork teacher at school was exactly like Terence Fletcher (the bullying band leader) in this film.
  • Not Miss Whiplash, then?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Oh yes, saw the trailor, like the look of this.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Been told it's good-will probably watch it when it leaves the pictures (like everything else!)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15594
    I'm trying to imagine what a disgruntled jazz fan looks like, nothing very terrifying springs to mind.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Like a slightly annoyed Bambi!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11894
    edited January 2015

Looks like they are taking it too literally.  The movie is clearly between the struggles of the young musician and his teacher (and methods).  They are picking holes at the techniques and how their band session would normally go.  Clearly this is a movie and in this movie, this is how THIS band session goes!

You can easily translate this movie into another genre, piano, dance or martial arts (which has been done to death).

Anyway, I liked the movie, good performances but story was predictable and ultimately the movie is forgettable.   It will be remembered for its performances rather than a great film.

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Surely its inaccurate on the basis that anyone turns up to Jazz gigs?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The ballet community did the same with 'Black Swan'

It's just that when the subject is considered high-brow the papers report it.

No-one reports the reaction of real martial artists when Van Damme releases a movie!
  • You can easily translate this movie into another genre, piano, dance or martial arts (which has been done to death).

I've heard it being compared to those Boot Camp movies- Full Metal Jacket and whatnot, with JK Simmons playing the Drill Sergeant role.

I'm really interested in seeing this, but I expect it'll be a DVD job in a few months. Mrs_bob isn't a huge fan of cinema dates: "I don't want to arrange a babysitter and spend money on cinema tickets so we can ignore each other for two hours"

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    You can easily translate this movie into another genre, piano, dance or martial arts (which has been done to death).

I've heard it being compared to those Boot Camp movies- Full Metal Jacket and whatnot, with JK Simmons playing the Drill Sergeant role.

I'm really interested in seeing this, but I expect it'll be a DVD job in a few months. Mrs_bob isn't a huge fan of cinema dates: "I don't want to arrange a babysitter and spend money on cinema tickets so we can ignore each other for two hours"

I've given the wisdom to you, but really it was for Mrs_bob ;)

I quite liked the film, but then I'm not so knowledgeable about jazz that the Hollywoodisation ruined it for me

All practice and no theory
  •  
    dafuzz said:

I've given the wisdom to you, but really it was for Mrs_bob ;)
    Ha. Being a lady woman and all, that rule is entirely reversible when there's something on at the cinema that she wants to see.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.