Demis Roussos dead

What's Hot
RIP. 

Before we get submerged by footage on the news of him wearing an enormous kaftan and singing "Forver and Ever" I humbly submit this as a tuneful example of other work that he was involved with. 

If the intro bores you skip to 0:54. Verve fans take note.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    If someone had asked I probably would have guessed he died years ago TBH. Another one of those 'always there' figures from my childhood. I think the Two Ronnies did a send up of him IIRC and you've got to be famous for that.
    But, RIP of course.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If someone had asked I probably would have guessed he died years ago TBH. Another one of those 'always there' figures from my childhood. I think the Two Ronnies did a send up of him IIRC and you've got to be famous for that.
    But, RIP of course.
    Was that the one where the camera kept cutting away from him, and every time it cut back the kaftan was getting bigger and bigger like some balloon? 

Or maybe that was the Grumbleweeds. 

I do recall Kenny Everett doing a spoof of Rod Stewart where his arse inflated like a balloon and burst on the studio lights. 

Ah, them were the days. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050
    Forever, and ever, and ever, and ev...ah, maybe not forever then.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Well I never, I always thought his name was Denis  :-O
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    RIP

:(

Kudos to Skarloey for the Aphrodite's Child link. Vangelis (Papathanassiou - and yes I did have to look up how to spell that!) was the keyboard player.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Skarloey said:
    But, RIP of course.
    Was that the one where the camera kept cutting away from him, and every time it cut back the kaftan was getting bigger and bigger like some balloon? 

Or maybe that was the Grumbleweeds. 

I do recall Kenny Everett doing a spoof of Rod Stewart where his arse inflated like a balloon and burst on the studio lights. 

Ah, them were the days. 

it is all a bit jumbled up in my head now. I found a Benny Hill one, although not sure it's what I remembered.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    Skarloey;32748" said:
    "Forver and Ever".
    Clearly that turned out to be wrong....

As the Greeks ceased production of hummous and taramasalata some years ago, as they wanted to avoid a double-dip recession, it's hard to know what they are going to sell now.

Everytime I hear his name I instantly think of 'Abigail's Party'.

RIP
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    he Od'd........helium
    tae be or not tae be
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Interesting (to me anyway) fact about him is that he was born in Egypt, or Alexandria to be precise. 

From the 1800's on there was a thriving Greek population there, and Alexandria was a lot more prominent a Mediterranean city then that it currently is. 

The poet Cavafy, widely considered the premier Greek poet for the modern age, was also a native of Alexandria. 
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    BigMonka said:
    Well I never, I always thought his name was Denis  :-O
    Was going to post the same thing. Makes me wonder if I've ever said it out loud and made a fool of myself.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    He was known as "The Singing Tent" in my youth... RIP, and thoughts for his loved ones.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3315
    RIP and a legend in the Motherland, and elsewhere too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    EricTheWeary;494235" said:
    If someone had asked I probably would have guessed he died years ago TBH.
    Me too.

Mrs B and I saw Lionel Blair in the local park t'other day. Could have sworn he had popped his clogs some years back too.

RIP Demis.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    Sad news indeed. R.I.P. He was not all that old either. Sounded a lot like Joe Dolan....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980

my 1st joint was tae the 666 album............"the leading horse was white....."

tae be or not tae be
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Skarloey said:
    RIP. 

Before we get submerged by footage on the news of him wearing an enormous kaftan and singing "Forver and Ever" I humbly submit this as a tuneful example of other work that he was involved with. 

If the intro bores you skip to 0:54. Verve fans take note.
    Top quality album, that.