Steve Hillage

ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11936
I used to really like his playing, even though the lyrics got a bit too trippy
his last proper album (before the system 7 stuff) was the one I liked the best, For To Next:
early copies came with a free second LP, just him soling across basic sequenced tracks

his soloing was so much more cheerful sounding than most
I'm not sure what modes he used, but it led me to think that few guitarists play in such a bouncy uplifting way. Santana does sometimes

Any other players who I should be listening to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Hillage, I read somewhere once, was copying saxophonists when he was starting off so that could explain a lot. 

In other news, there's Daevid Allen from Gong for a start. There's loads of those Canterbury prog-rock types that don't have straightforward, sledgehammer approaches to guitar. Steve Howe also... Also check out Punishment Of Luxury - I think it was Neville Luxury on guitar- very cheery solos!
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947

He was amazing in his day....Live Herald is a class album. Very distinctive and intelligent with his playing. Great feel and tone. He was a total hero of mine.

• Great playing over horrible hippy bollocks.

I really like that one track, The Glorious Om Riff. The push-pull riff reminds me a little of The Attitude Song, although I think the mechanics are different.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.