I tried a 5150iii today

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
Hi everyone, 

Newbie here (although some MusicRadar refugees might remember me). 

Today I went into PMT Bristol and tried out a 5150iii (50 watt version). I really liked it. Even when running a ton of gain on channel 2, there was a crisp cleanness to single notes on the bottom strings, which I thought was impressive. It sounded killer, exactly like I hoped it would.

Only two disappointments, really: 1) I hoped that diming the clean channel would result in a sound a bit like a cranked up non-MV amp. It didn't. Clean channel under high gain was just brittle, imo.

2) It seemed to sound worse really cranked up. I don't know if that's because I wasn't in a very nice sounding room, or if rebiasing would help, but instead of getting fatter and dirtier when I turned it up, it just seemed to sound harsher.

Still, I'm definitely tempted. Staff in PMT were friendly and helpful too. I hadn't been in that shop since it was Sound Control, when all the staff treated me like I'd been hitting on their mothers. 
My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    TThat harshness you heard is probably power amp distortion coming in as you crank the Master volume, it's why most modern metal amps are 100/120w, so you can run them loud without getting vast amounts of flubby, harsh power amp distortion.

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Just go with that 2204, man ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32 said:
    TThat harshness you heard is probably power amp distortion coming in as you crank the Master volume, it's why most modern metal amps are 100/120w, so you can run them loud without getting vast amounts of flubby, harsh power amp distortion.

But power amp distortion is what the classic Van Halen sound is all about. Those early albums are a totally cranked non-master volume Marshall, so there's tons of power amp crunch involved. Power amp distortion is less tight than preamp distortion, but it's usually really musical. If that was power amp distortion I was hearing, it didn't sound like the other power amps I've heard at full tilt, and it wasn't good. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    edited January 2015
    Speakers not worn in adding the harshness?
  • Good shout, grungebob. Could well be. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11644
    tFB Trader
    Also EVH had a couple of EQ pedals in his early rig that are not often mentioned, which tightened up the signal to dial out any unwanted elements

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Knob on the back called resonance was that cranked up?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5027
    FelineGuitars;500399" said:
    Also EVH had a couple of EQ pedals in his early rig that are not often mentioned, which tightened up the signal to dial out any unwanted elements
    There was a thread in the old mr talking about a wireless unit that supposedly also featured on some ACDC albums too.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    That was the old Vega Wireless system. No doubt it imparted it's sonic footprint on Angus Young guitar tone. information provided by Solo Dalas ( can't remember his real name) the bloke who appears to have dedicated his life to nailing the AC/DC tone.