Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some music, that I'll hate! (Seriously!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Converge. Critically acclaimed & LOVED by many. Totally indecipherable noise to everyone else!
    I quite like it... if I'm in the mood.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't bear the idea of anyone hating Those Eyes, That Mouth. It's one of my favourite songs of all time. :-(
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    Hi guys, thhanks for all the suggestions. It will give me something to digest this weekend!

I should have added that I started off listening to thrash metal (well pantera and metallica) in my youth. I kind of lost interest the last time I went to wacken in 2008. I think out of 100 bands I saw 9? Chug, chug widdle, widdle with machine gun bass drumming etc. I do love SYL's City album though.

I used to play in a funk/dub band. And I have to admit, I'm not a huge reggae fan. I liked the Slackers that's about it. And I've borrowed my fathers collection of Trojan records. But I couldn't get into it. So perhaps I need to look into that again.

I really do need to check out some Neil Young, literally have Harvest and that's all (i know).

I don't think i'm ready for Armani blues gang quite yet. I love SRV though :)

So I need to check out some scruffy punk bands, dub and reggae and some Neil Young. I was intrigued by the atonal stuff as well. Not sure I could take it seriously though, gets a bit fast show after a while.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2444
    DrJazzTap said:

I should have added that I started off listening to thrash metal (well pantera and metallica) in my youth. I kind of lost interest the last time I went to wacken in 2008. I think out of 100 bands I saw 9? Chug, chug widdle, widdle with machine gun bass drumming etc. I do love SYL's City album though.
    What would jazz be, then?  Wrong chord, wrong chord, widdle, widdle, wrong note, right note, wrong note, wrong chord?  ;)

(I do like Jazz, btw)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited January 2015
    On the punk rock tip- Rancid are rather good (& have my favourite bassist in Matt Freeman) "...and out come the wolves" is superb. 

The Gallows "Grey Britain" is one of the best punk albums in ages, it sounds like the Sex Pistols playing Sabbath songs. Heavy as hell & snotty too. 

Lastly, the King Blues are a pretty unique blend of urban, pop, punk, DJ & God knows what- they can be hit & miss, but when they get it right it's imprssive.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

If you like proggy-stuff then latter-day Iron Maiden or Queensryche may suit you.

I'll find some when at home later.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Probably the worst vinyl record I ever owned was Venom, I think it was called At war with satan? They were a terrible band!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    My missus was going through a box of old cassette tapes. How in the name of all that's holy she ever got hold of a copy of this track is beyond me, but she had it on cassette single. Luckily we haven't got a working cassette player but unfortunately it came up on a Youtube search. 

This song is complete and utter arse. 

If the cocks who run the CIA didn't love this stuff, they'd use it for torture. 

:x

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    Ooh, I love a bit of Alan Jackson and that's a corker - actually at the gritty end of his catalogue, he is a man who isn't afraid of cheese. I think that's from MrsTheWeary's side of the cd collection from when she lived in Arkansas where every radio station played country.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    axisus said:
    Probably the worst vinyl record I ever owned was Venom, I think it was called At war with satan? They were a terrible band!

without googling it was it Evil in League with Satan? This is one for @Reverend . Was that the song they wouldn't play on Radio 1? IIRC Tommy Vance had to agree to pay a few hundred quid to some charidee to get Mike Read to play it at breakfast time. Those crazy, whacky DJ's.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5115
    It's both )
    At War With Satan was a later album, In League With Satan was their first single.

They couldn't play at the start but that was part of the charm.

Had they been great players it is unlikely they would have influenced thousands of bands in the way they did.

Back to the OP.
    Try the likes of Voi Vod, Coroner, Deathspell Omega, Portal (aus), Star Gazer, Confessor or Aevangelist. The heavy side you hate with the prog you like.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
  • I quite like this but it's probably not everyones cup of tea:

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 767
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    Punk/reggae crossover Culture Shock - Messed Up, great anarchist/crusty affair.
    Indie reverb soaked stuff try anything by Medicine or Swervedriver.
    Stoner.... Try Sgt Sunshine, Kyuss and FuManchu.
    Metal? Tool - Lateralus, nuff said.

Another thought for progressing your playing is to play along to tv or movie soundtracks as you watch them, I find it teaches me to anticipate chord changes I wouldn't normally explore, time sigs and structures I'm not familiar with, always interesting.

Best of luck