PA subs question

chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
edited January 2015 in Amps

Not sure which section I should put this in, so I'll start here.

I've got a pair of active Peavey PRO 300w subs that I bought a while ago, and have only used a few times. I generally take one to a gig to mic up the kick drum, but they are quite large 19.9'' (505mm) x 26'' (660mm) x 19.1'' (485mm), and I have to get the missus to help me load and unload them, I can't manage on my own, and is not a good situation.

So I'm thinking of selling them, to fund a smaller, half decent sub that's a bit more portable for the same job

Any recommendations appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Bigger = Better.

Just like toasters.

Helpful ain't I..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72800
    It's probably not going to be easy to find a half decent sub that's much smaller and lighter. They just need to be fairly big and heavy to work well. I'm not sure I've even seen any that are much smaller - maybe in the 26" direction, but not the other two.

How heavy are they? The weight may be more awkward than the size. I know some of that old Peavey gear feels like it's built to withstand a nuclear attack rather than be easy to move. (Well it was the 80s...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

They're not too heavy, more awkward, really. And they're about 5 years old.

Maybe I should stick this post  this post in the amp section?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    I'd agree - I can't think of a live PA sub smaller than that.     At least not one that will be heard.

I'm prety sure a bassist I work with has those or similar cabs in his pa - they are ok but I wouldn't want less for a band.  They are fairly light but I agree they aren't a comfortable carry on your own due to the shape/size.   The next size up in peavey cab is definitlely a two man lift.
    I had some db sub15 active cabs for a while and they were a tiny bit smaller but probably double the weight of the peaveys so no use.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72800
    edited January 2015
    Mackie DLM12S ?

17.5 x 17.5 x 21", 47lb, 1000W. (Edit: not 2000W as I first thought, that's peak bullshit power.)

I haven't had great experiences with Mackie powered cabs to be honest, but that does at least sound like it's got power to spare and is quite small.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10491

What about putting wheels on em, we have wheels on our all bins, makes life a lot easier. 

The trouble with small bass enclosures is they sound small. You can get a lot of punch but not a lot of true sub. The QSC K series are quite good for their size, and come on wheels by default 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Yeah, get some castors on the back of 'em. My HK Actor rig has four subs, all with wheels on the back panel. Easy to move, and all the tops, wedges and other stuff without wheels gets stacked on top of them to roll in to the venue, so my four-sub load in is easier than just taking one sub!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    It's the size, not the weight. They perform really well, but they're just to add ambience fir the kick drum, we don't use them with the PA.

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I bought a QSC pa last year, 2xK12's and 2xKSubs.. Each cab is 1000w, and it's all dead easy to move around. Most of the time I only take one sub, they sound great.