Fuzz me.

What's Hot
LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
I'd like to add a fuzz pedal to my pedal board. Something that will get to close to Clapton's sound on Sunshine of your love. I know he was using a cranked Marshall etc, but there must be a pedal out there that produces a similar sound 
<£100 new or good condition used, is fine.

What should be on my short list please?

(fwiw I have a EH Soul Food, Metal muff and a Boss DS1, I've played about with them all and can't really get near.)

Cheers
Graham
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fuzz face?
    Wampler Velvet fuzz?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    edited January 2015
    EHX Germanium 4 Muff, loads of fuzzy vintage drive sounds and well under budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited January 2015
    I bought a velvet fuzz an it's awesome as a "fuzz into cranked amp" sound and does a neat sunshine tone when rolled back ... But then I bought a distortron and it nails the cream era Clapton sound when set to higher gain levels.... Should be gettable under budget 2nd hand
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys, the Velvet fuzz sounds really good (on youtube). Bit too spendy new, it's only to play about with at home.
    Will check out the distortron and the EHX 4 muff.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I'm selling a fuzz face mini. See classifydz
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Check out the EQD Hoof and Tone Reaper, Arc Effects Big Green Pi, Greer Batch O Ass or consider uping your budget for the really versatile Death By Audio Apocalypse!

Not a bad pedal out of the lot!

Oh wait these are all pedals I've got listed in the classifieds ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    For sunshine tones go old school silicon rather than germ. Check out maestro fuzz tone clones and mosrite fuzzrite clones, they'll get you very close to that trebly tone
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

For classic rock tones, I LOVED the Fulltone '69 Fuzz.   I didn't specifically try to get any EC tones from it, but it did scream 60's/70's rock. 

To my ear, it couldn't sound any more different than my Swollen Pickle- which is a lot more rough sounding.  The '69 sounds more like a screaming cranked amp.  The bonus is, it's a regular sized pedal, with the sockets in the normal spots.   Downside is, it needs a specific power supply.  ( I don't remember which- center positive or negative- just that it's the opposite of the norm...)

Played through a Blues Deluxe with an LP, and the fuzz turned all the way up made me sound like a RAWK star.  What a roar!!

Still kicking myself for not buying it.  ( it was used, and cheap!)