Marshall AVT275 - opinions?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
Hi,

My singer is looking for a new amp and saw an avt locally on gumtree.

I thought they were a bit sterile and unreliable but he is mad keen - loud and good clean sound, he says.

I'm going to try it tomorrow night but thought I'd check how people have found them and anything I should look out for?

tia

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72801
    Smoke, mainly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    lol    that's what I expected.

Assuming it's like the kid selling it claims and hardly used - then I guess it'll be ok - any obvious indicators that failure is imminent? (apart from the fact a lot seem to go)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72801
    Dirty or sticking fan. Dirt indicates it will be full of the same in the heatsink channel and will need cleaning. Sticking indicates imminent death.

And having Marshall AVT written on it :).

They actually sound OK, if you like clear and hollow sounds, especially clean - the 'acoustic' channel isn't too bad either. They don't have a lot of guts or punch on the overdrive though, quite a thin and sterile tone as you say.

If he's mad keen, make sure he gets it at a good price - £200 absolute tops for as-new condition (and I probably wouldn't pay that on a private sale with no warranty), more like £150-£175 - understands that they aren't reliable, and has a backup strategy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    Thanks -  I'll keep trying to persuade him to get a proper amp -  I still think he needs a twin.  

It's up for 180,  I assume he'll take 150 which is a fair price if it's working ok.   I'll make sure to check the fan - thanks.