NAD: JCM800 2204

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
Can't be bothered to take my own photo, so here's the pic from the ad when it was for sale:

Bought from @HHwarner of this parish, it is making me grin a great deal. He was a lovely bloke to deal with too. I stayed and chatted for about half an hour, and he let me try out his other gear (SG, Les Paul, 1-watt JCM800, POD HD500—all very nice).

In his music room, it sounded incredible (he let me crank it up, so clearly his family and neighbours are supremely understanding), and that was just with a G12-T75 4x12 cab. When I got it home, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't sound as good, but then I was using an attenuator at bedroom volumes into a 1x12 V30 cab, so it was never going to be the same. 

I've been letting it rip a bit more today (still with the Motherload attenuator, still at bedroom volume, but this time the bedroom volume of an antisocial person). It's an absolute beast. I'm really chuffed. It was between this and a 5150iii. I think I'd have been happy with either (and I'd still like a 5150 eventually), but this amp is very me.

Discoveries: It has a ton more gain than I was expecting. I thought it would have only a touch more gain than my old 2061X, but actually I don't need a pedal even for widdly stuff. Even before you get the power stage cooking, the preamp alone has enough gain for 80s metal. I probably will use a pedal because I'm a menace to good taste, but I don't need it.

When it runs out of headroom, notes on the wound strings sound woofy, like an old fuzz pedal (or a bit like a phaser in the low part of its sweep). They sound like they're about to break into feedback, but they never do, just sustain in a farty way. I'd prefer it if the low notes stayed tight even when the power stage is going nuts. The 2061X stayed crisp all the way up. The fully-cranked 800 is still a good sound though. Is this woofiness normal for an 800? It reminds me a bit of way low notes sound on an Orange AD30 at full shout, although the fartiness is more extreme on the Orange. 

Cranking up the master volume makes it sound more aggressive, with more upper-mid bark. I thought it would get darker and fatter with volume, but actually it sounds darkest with the preamp cranked and the volume low. The brightest sound is with the master cranked and preamp low (because of the bright cap). I'm curious how it would sound without the bright cap. Currently, if you do the AC/DC thing of cranking the master and turning the gain down, it's hard to get a great tone because the amp gets so bright (although it's still cool with the treble turned down, and the treble pot is a lot more effective than some old Marshalls I've played). I'd be nervous about changing anything though, because it sounds so good.

It's also made me love playing different guitars again, because it seems to exaggerate all the differences between my guitars. I spent more than an hour this morning switching between all my guitars and comparing them. My Les Pauls sound by far the best, but the neck pickup on a Strat into this amp is the most Tom Morello-tastic thing ever. 

This was a good buy. I am happy. 
My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HNAD :-)

I got a Cornell Plexi last month, and I love it. Just ordered a Zilla 2x12 cab with Creamback 65's to go with mine. I reckon one of those would unleash the beast in yours very nicely. They are in Bristol too. (I had a look as I was going to offer you to try mine).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Zilla cabs are great. I love my Zilla 1x12 with a Vintage 30. Everyone's telling me it's the wrong cab for this amp, and while a bit more low-end thump would be nice, for a 1x12 it sounds unbelievable. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • What's the maximum wattage you can put into the speaker? 

Once I get the cab I'll post in the Amps section about it, once I give the speakers some time to run in. I did debate a 1x12, but I think a 2x12 is the best choice for practicality vs punch. Also from what I can tell the Creambacks work really well with a Plexi, not sure about with a JCM800 though… I imagine they'd be great. 

• I think Vintage 30s are rated at 70 watts. The JCM800 on 10 would peak at more than that, but I don't think it's likely I'm ever going to get it cranked on a gig without an attenuator, and if that did happen I'd borrow or buy a 4x12. 
  • Cool man. Does it sit on top of the 1x12 okay? I can't wait to get my new cab, at the moment the head is perched on some neoprene on top of my Two Rock cab. Looks odd :-)
  • Yeah, it's a widebody 1x12 that's the same width as the head, so there's no balance issue. It just looks a bit odd because the head is more than half as tall as the cab, so it's like a cartoon character with a massive body and tiny legs.
  • Haha, brilliant! My Twin is going to look similar when it's re-housed. As long as it sounds awesome who cares...

• NerineNerine Frets: 2196
    Proper amp mate.

Actually, Scara, could you check something for me?
    (It's Lee B by the way)
    Does the tone get noticeably brighter and twangy when the gain is lowered?

One of my favourite sounds in my 2203 is running the gain a bit lower which seems to bring out the pick attack a bit more and making up for the loss with a boost.

That always works well for me, and kinda brings in some of that Bogner bright switch B1 type sound that can be found on the Ecstasy.

Be interesting if your original 2204 does the same kinda vibe.

Hope you're keeping well, man. x
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2196
    Speaking of Bogner, never mind that 5153, save up for a Bogner Helios! that would be RIGHT up your strada!
  • @McToot and I had a good blast with my combo version of the 2204 last night plugged into a 4x12. So much fun and cuts through like mad. HNAD! It's a cracking bit of kit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HNAD!
    Cheers for the detailed write up - now I'm gassing for a JCM800! (just bought a 50w plexi)
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Glad you are pleased with the 800 Jonny, it was good to meet you. You will need the pre amp up at above 6 on the dial to reduce the brightness & get the master above 6 too and it will sing. Its a beast of an amp and one I will probably regret selling but im gassin after the JTM45 which Im picking up Saturday. I cant afford em all Im afraid. I will let you know how I get on with JTM. Enjoy the amp 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    My idea of heaven.

Enjoy. :)
  • Nerine said:

Does the tone get noticeably brighter and twangy when the gain is lowered?

One of my favourite sounds in my 2203 is running the gain a bit lower which seems to bring out the pick attack a bit more and making up for the loss with a boost.

That always works well for me, and kinda brings in some of that Bogner bright switch B1 type sound that can be found on the Ecstasy.

Be interesting if your original 2204 does the same kinda vibe.
    Cheers Lee, good to hear from you mate. 

Yeah, it does exactly that. With the gain below 3 it's really, really bright and twangy. If anything, it's a bit too much, and it's hard to tame. Like the previous owner HHwarner was just saying, the effect is gone once the gain's at 6. Actually, I think it's lower than that; most of the brightness has calmed down by about 10 o'clock on the pot.
  • @McToot and I had a good blast with my combo version of the 2204 last night plugged into a 4x12. So much fun and cuts through like mad. HNAD! It's a cracking bit of kit.
    Funnily enough I almost gave McToot a shout to see about buying my old Jubilee 2554 back off him before I saw this for sale.
  • HNAD!
    Cheers for the detailed write up - now I'm gassing for a JCM800! (just bought a 50w plexi)
    I was originally after a 1987X, funnily enough, but they seem to be going for stupid money at the moment. I'd be interested in comparing side-by-side. I think the Plexi is definitely more versatile—so far I'm not seeing much sign of a Hendrix tone from the 2204, even with a Strat and the gain turned down. 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited January 2015
    @McToot and I had a good blast with my combo version of the 2204 last night plugged into a 4x12. So much fun and cuts through like mad. HNAD! It's a cracking bit of kit.
    That thing was fab.  So much so that I have been ambling around ebay looking at them.  Fred you you said you might consider shifting it on.  You know where I am buddy ;)
    @McToot and I had a good blast with my combo version of the 2204 last night plugged into a 4x12. So much fun and cuts through like mad. HNAD! It's a cracking bit of kit.
    Funnily enough I almost gave McToot a shout to see about buying my old Jubilee 2554 back off him before I saw this for sale.

Hey Jonny. Nice to see you on here.  You still in London?

Your old Jubilee is long gone I'm afraid.  It went to another forumite - @fastboy - and then on somewhere else.  I just couldn't get it to sound like others do.  Plus I rarely had the chance to give it any real welly and I have never liked V30s when they are run at house volumes.   

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• McToot said:

Your old Jubilee is long gone I'm afraid.  It went to another forumite - @fastboy - and then on somewhere else.  I just couldn't get it to sound like others do.  Plus I rarely had the chance to give it any real welly and I have never liked V30s when they are run at house volumes.   

Nope, I'm back in the southwest. 

Ah, shame the Jubilee is no longer in my solar system, but I think I prefer the 2204 anyway (although the Jubilee was more versatile). The 2554 was much better through an extension cab. The combo is just too small to sound good as a hard rock amp. 
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    McToot said:

Nope, I'm back in the southwest. 

Ah, shame the Jubilee is no longer in my solar system, but I think I prefer the 2204 anyway (although the Jubilee was more versatile). The 2554 was much better through an extension cab. The combo is just too small to sound good as a hard rock amp. 
    I was going to throw it into a headshell that roadkill cabs were going to build for me and run it with a 2x12 however at the time I rejoined the Black Sabbath tribute band I was in so sold it to fund more Laneys. IIRC I sold it to a guy who was a partner at one of the guitar shops in Southampton. He didn't buy it to sell in the shop he was buying it as he wanted one.