• NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Are Hiwatt still going?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Lol
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30988
    If anyone does bid bear in mind you'll need to spend 250 min to recap it

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72739
    Gassage said:
    If anyone does bid bear in mind you'll need to spend 250 min to recap it
    Not as much as that. Unless there's something else wrong with it I would say about £150 including any other necessary work, including hardwiring the mains voltage selector and replacing the Bulgin socket with a TAD IEC one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Nooooo! Bulgin sockets are totally cool!

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited January 2015
    why does it have to be recapped?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Gassage said:
    Nooooo! Bulgin sockets are totally
    illegal, unreliable and potentially dangerous.

It's not actually illegal to own one, but there are places you won't be allowed to use an amp with one, and you may need to be careful about selling one if you're a business.

Rightly so. They were never safe really - the cable retention in the plug is too poor to provide any strength, the most common type can be taken apart without tools while the other end is plugged in, the size of the socket holes in the plug is larger than ideal, and the contact between the pins and the tubes they fit into is questionable.

Get rid of them on anything other than a collector's item. They have no place on any working amp - not least because if you don't have a spare one, if you lose or damage the cable you're stuffed. An IEC cable can be much more easily replaced.

why does it have to be recapped?
    Because they degrade over time, and can leak, short-circuit or occasionally explode, sometimes causing damage to really valuable parts of the amp like the transformers. Thirty years is a sensible cut-off for life expectancy, so any 70s or older amp needs doing really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ah right. 

I will stay with my ethically questionable version then 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    They always come up when I'm skint. Aaahhh!!!
  • TheCount said:
    buy one man!
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited February 2015
    Trouble with these is you never hear of anybody decent playing through them. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Imagine if you did buy this, you'd also get invited to the secret meetings @Gassage, @meltedbuzzbox and myself have where we drink copious amounts of ale and discuss inferior clean tones.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @randomhandclaps I think if someone on here landed this @Gassage would stop these secrets meetings and branch off to discuss mullard valves, vintage tones and ethical practices with said new owner

me and you would be at the secret location left alone and slightly bewildered 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @icbm

Gassage said:
    Nooooo! Bulgin sockets are totally cool

You still haven't addressed the cool issue- you bloody techy types don't get this...

• fire = cool ?

I'll allow it
  • @randomhandclaps I think if someone on here landed this @Gassage would stop these secrets meetings and branch off to discuss mullard valves, vintage tones and ethical practices with said new owner

me and you would be at the secret location left alone and slightly bewildered 

You have a point mate, we'd be like the lower 6th formers and they'd be the too cool for school upper 6th.  Shit, imagine if it was an old bloke who bought it?  Them two would be huddled up talking about 'Hiwatts back in the day' and even if we did survive the culling they'd be imposing a cardigan, slacks and orthopaedic shoes club dress code...

Can't let that happen.  I am going to report the listing and get it pulled in order to maintain the brotherhood.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    @icbm

Gassage said:
    Nooooo! Bulgin sockets are totally cool

You still haven't addressed the cool issue- you bloody techy types don't get this…
    Not being able to play a gig because you lost or damaged the cable, or because the H&S jobsworth told you you can't use it is cool? Hmmmm….

:)

Bulgins were always crap, even when they were legal - they're just a poor design, both for safety and reliability. The only reason they are now 'cool' is because they were fitted on many old British amps, presumably because there wasn't much else available at the time.

For what it's worth I don't like to see bodged IEC conversions either - which a high proportion are, unfortunately - but the new socket sold by TAD solves all the problems other than having to file the centre hole out slightly - it fits the existing screw holes, and completely covers the Bulgin hole so you don't get the gaps top and bottom. Why it took thirty years for someone to realise that if you just turned the IEC round through 90 degrees it would fit better, I don't know! I won't use anything else now, anyway.

For what it's worth the pull-out voltage and impedance selectors used by Marshall especially - the Hiwatt ones aren't quite so bad - are also crap and need to be replaced or hardwired, since they are not only potentially illegal (the voltage one) but are a risk to the amp (both of them), particularly the transformers.

What's cool is being able to use the great sound of a vintage amp safely and reliably, not some archaic piece of Bakelite on the back ;).

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    TheCount said:
    buy one man!
    It's tempting. I've got 9hrs to talk myself out of it.