Dumb Princeton Reverb question

What's Hot
brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
I've got a second hand PRRI on which the reverb has stopped working. First it got weaker, so you had to go to 10 to hear it. Now the reverb dial just adds hiss. Vibrato works fine.

I've checked that the reverb send and return cable is plugged in at both ends. Nothing obviously catastrophic going on that I can see in the reverb tank. Given that electricity might as well be little planets in the wires to me, and that I can no more solder or comprehend electronic components than I can fly to the moon, would it be more sensible to replace the relevant preamp valves and see how that goes, or just go straight to a tech? (ie how likely is it that the valves are responsible as opposed to something fiddlier?)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72739
    Shake the amp with the reverb turned up. If you get reverb twang/crash you know it isn't the most common problem which is a broken output transducer.

If it got weaker rather than suddenly wasn't working, I would suspect the driver valve instead - V2, which is the 12AT7 second from the end of the amp. It won't be the return valve if the control adds hiss, that means it's still working.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whoa that was quick. Thanks very much.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited January 2015
    Much crashing and twanging... I'll replace the driver and see what happens. Cheers @ICBM.