NAD Fender Super Champ XD. Pedal recommendations?

scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
Mint for £160 and I like the built in fx. But has anyone got one or had one who can recommend a drive or distortion pedal. I've read that it's not an amp that takes pedals too well...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16186
    It doesnt need any pedals -get to know the amp and you will agree
    BUT -if you want to make a really huge difference to the sound put an Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker in it
    the upgrade is huge - couldn t tell difference between this and a deluxe reverb unless the reverb was on
    very sweet 6v6 sound
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    I was taken aback when I plugged it into a Peavey Bandit. Sounded huge and deep. Does a speaker swap just need a screwdriver andca bit of care changing wires over or is it a oldering job?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    i think the SDXD is a great little amp if you stick to the fender voices. A speaker swap to something smoother makes a big difference. I had success with a basic tubescreamer and a Cmatmods Signa drive into the clean and lower gain voices.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited February 2015
    Had mine since the XD came out... rarely use it but would if had to. Yes there are maybe 3/4 voices off the bat that sound good without any dialing - NOT the Overdriven Tweed (3) though -YUK!

Faves are chn 1 then in order - chn 2: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8

You only need a transparent type drive to rawk it... Try a big cab out too... opens right up.

The tremolo and Varitone are great FX

I ran it in stereo with my Tweed Deluxe with a Tweed setting and it sounded like my old 59 Bassman - even got the 'Swirl'...well impressed.

Oh and found this on web a while back...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/snotmale/Webhosting/XD USER Settings table_zpsap6jgtzz.jpg

Actually, must use it more, is a good little amp to have at hand...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Thanks. I'll have a tinker with those settings. I tend to keep treble right down to 3 and up the bass a bit as I'm playing a Tele into it. Worryingly I'm beginning to crave amps now as much as guitars...
  •   I had success using an OCD and a Blues Driver with it.  (I have the X2 though)   Most dirt pedals I have work fine through it, in fact.

It isn't a tube pre, though, so you can't really use a pedal to overdrive the amp.   Mine does have enough headroom in the main input, that I can boost the volume with a pedal a bit.

Now, I usually just plug strait in to the amp, and use the gain control or voicing selection to dirty it up.  I recently gave the Supersonic voicing the good ol college try, and was VERY pleased with the way it sounded.  No pedals needed, I had all the roar, howl, feedback, and gain I'd ever want!  This voice worked especially well with my Firebird and P90 loaded SG.

To be completely honest, my habit of playing through this amp strait in has as much to do with laziness as with tone purism.  I only have the one power supply and pedal chain and can't be arsed to switch it over whenever I want to play with this amp.

I have found that when using mod/delay pedals, analog types work best.   For example, my Corona Chorus sounds not so good, while my Small Clone sounds great.   In the fx loop of my Mustang, the Corona sounds fantastic... ( I believe that TC pedals esp prefer to run at line level vs instrument level, while most MXR pedals sound good either way-or sometimes better in front) 

I quite like the simplicity of the FX and the fact that you can't do much more than turn 'em on (and up a bit...) or off. Will dig into that Supersonic voicing tonight. TDPRI forum suggests that changing to The Eminence RC speaker will add volume but lose some of the  clean sparkle. There was a lovely surf green SCX2 on ebay near me last week, too.
    Now they look good. eBay USA full of aftermarket cab builders I believe...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12434
    My Box of Rock clone was excellent on channel 1 and also good on the lower gain channel 2 sounds
    "OUR TOSSPOT"