Anyone still rockin' a Zoom 500 series effects processor?

What's Hot
XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
edited February 2015 in FX
I bought this Zoom 507 reverb back in 1998 to add some ambiance to the embryonic recordings I was making on my tascam 4-track at the time. I don't think I ever used it live, and soon got into more sophisticated computer set-ups and until this last week I don't think it had evern been powrred up in 15 years, just stuck in my dad's loft waiting to be rediscovered...

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/2BCC12F2-1F8D-4E07-97EE-9D09BD3DF7D1_zpso9dw5bqy.jpg

Anyway, I normally only play directly into my Tiny Terror, but as I just got my new JM Jag I thought maybe I should try and go a bit reverby for the clean sounds and put it in line. Can't say that it's a particularly brilliant but it does seem to be doing it job. Even has delay and a bit of chorus if you need it!

Does anyone even have any of the old Zoom 500 series pedals? I also had a Zoom 510 which was a decent drive pedal for a beginner back when I started out, but I remember trading that and all my other stompboxes in for a Marshall stack back in the 90s...

Pretty sure it cost me £100 back then, I see they're on ebay for £60. Not that I'm going to sell it, but I do have its original box and manual!
And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    I remember drooling over those as a teenager as I couldn't afford one even though they were about the cheapest multieffects you could get. A few years after that I got a Zoom GFX-707 which I still have although haven't used for a good few years. 
    I remember the day I got I played for about 12hours straight going through each and every setting - I had some sore fingers after that!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the regular guitar multi effects version (505?). I loaned it to someone and never asked for it back.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the Guitar & Bass Amp Simulator, which I got mainly for recording bass. Some of the guitar amp simulations were not too bad, although the speaker simulations gave you a 4x10" for the Marshalls rather than a 4x12". The miking simulation options were quite useful as I remember, combine with a touch of reverb. Very useful little box, but superceded by a Vox Tonelab (better sounds and user interface but lacking a bass amp apart from a Fender Bassman) and went on ebay for almost as much as I paid for it - £47 iirc.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16742
    I had the regular guitar multi effects version (505?). I loaned it to someone and never asked for it back.

I had the same one new for xmas in 1996 - I also gave it away :)
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I've still got an old 2020 sitting on the shelf in my office if that's any good... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I had the 509 Modulation pedal, which was alright but given I don't like chorus anymore I recently sold it along with the mighty Zoom 3000 Player to fund a pedal purchase. Good old ebay got me enough to get a DD7.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I have a 505, boxed with PSU, cost about £100 I think, looks like new.

I never liked it much, I can't believe I paid that for it either!

• Heh heh seems like a lot of us had the same experience. I think they were decent enough entry level FX and you got quite a bit out of them, but they certainly did make you appreciate better stuff when you could get access to them. I remember thinking that the distortion on the 510 was the greatest thing in the world...
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    I had one for a bit as well. The Korg AX1 was much better-I still have use for that one. Surprised they go for that price, usually see knocking about for the £15 mark. The new-ish Zoom G1 on is much better than the 500 and is sub £40
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16742
    to be fair to the old 505, it did my playing wonders.   It was the first electronic tuner I had.  I think I had been trying to play for about a year when i got it, getting quite frustrated... then suddenly i was playing in tune and things started making sense  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I seem to remember the price dropping in half at some point, which is why I got my 503 for less than £50. Bargain at that price, because more or less the only alternative at the time was the first gen Pod, for something close to £300?
  • I had a 505 as well. I have no idea what happened to it. I think I paid £69 from flying pig music. 
    From memory I would be reluctant to pay £9 for one now. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Flying Pig music! I bought an Epiphone Riviera from them around the same time!

The 503 looks like it was probably a decent, kinda wished I'd got that now insead of the 510...
  • A guy I used to play with uses the delay one. He makes it sound really good but he's just that kind of guitarist. Seriously just that and a fab tone through a solid state fender with one of them old one pickup fender student guitars. Makes all the boutique buying players cry.
    That is all.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I still use a 2020 for various delays through my fx loop. Sounds fine, ain't broke, don't need fixin....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    rsvmark said:
    I still use a 2020 for various delays through my fx loop. Sounds fine, ain't broke, don't need fixin....

Hmmmm...

You've got me thinking. 

Might have to drag mine out and try that, my recollection is that the delay section was pretty flexible (2 separate delays, one plain vanilla and one multitap IIRC), between that and a decent number of patches dedicated to just delay settings it could actually be pretty damned useful... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    JayGee said:
    rsvmark said:

Hmmmm...

You've got me thinking. 

Might have to drag mine out and try that, my recollection is that the delay section was pretty flexible (2 separate delays, one plain vanilla and one multitap IIRC), between that and a decent number of patches dedicated to just delay settings it could actually be pretty damned useful... :-)

I use the amp reverb as a base setting and then have short to longer delays assigned to each preset left to right. I set the overall level to match the base setting, ie no boost, as I have a boost pedal for that. The only pita is that going from / to overdriven solos and back to clean I have to hit the zoom to change delay and o/d pedal but it's a small price to pay
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1750
    Another 505 owner here. Found it about 2 years ago in a cupboard, went on ebay and got £50 for it. i was shocked.
  • The 505 was my first effects experience and teeange me stomped that poor thing into oblivion. After swearing I'd never use another multi-fx, the G3x is the centre of my pedal board now.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • I had the 1010 which came before the 500's put me off fx for a long time. Very harsh and very noisy