Help needed. How do I get my tone back. Too many pedals?

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 917
edited February 2015 in FX
I have put together a new pedalboard with 10 pedals. These are crybaby, microvibe,tuner, 3 drive pedals, delay, reverb and a looper. I have a buffer that I've tried in various places on the board, but Iam loosing all the clarity of my superb amp. Does running these many pedals on my board mean I've got to sacrifice my precious tone. Iam using quality lava cables all through the rig, so I don't think that will be to blame.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72807
    What are the pedals? (Including which model is the Cry Baby.)

What order are the pedals in, and where have you tried the buffer? (Including right at the start, and right at the end?)

Have you tried taking out individual pedals one at a time to see if there is a single culprit or at least a worst offender?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• markjmarkj Frets: 917
    The pedals are in the order I have listed. The crybaby is a Joe Bonamassa sig. I have tried the buffer before od pedals, after the od pedals. I have tried the buffer before the delay and right at the very end but not had good results.
  • Yes, but what exactly are the pedals? It sounds like one might be causing problems to me, the wah is the usual culprit I've found. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Yes, but what exactly are the pedals? It sounds like one might be causing problems to me, the wah is the usual culprit I've found. 
    I'd try the pedals one at a time to check them.

Check your patch leads also as a bad one could kill the sound.

I took the wah out of the chain but it didn't make any difference. Is running these many pedals something you got to put up with loosing the tone of your amp? The list of the pedals in the chain are. Joe Bonamassa sig crybaby, voodo labs microvibe, Pitchblack tuner, tc electronics spark booster, Wampler euphoria, rockbox boiling point, tc electronic repeater, digitech reverb and ditto looper.
    edited February 2015
    markj said:
    The pedals are in the order I have listed. The crybaby is a Joe Bonamassa sig. I have tried the buffer before od pedals, after the od pedals. I have tried the buffer before the delay and right at the very end but not had good results.
    Edit (sorry, you beat me to that post :) ).

markj said:
    I took the wah out of the chain but it didn't make any difference. Is running these many pedals something you got to put up with loosing the tone of your amp? The list of the pedals in the chain are. Joe Bonamassa sig crybaby, voodo labs microvibe, Pitchblack tuner, tc electronics spark booster, Wampler euphoria, rockbox boiling point, tc electronic repeater, digitech reverb and ditto looper.
    Take each of the other pedals out of the chain one at a time and find out if any of them is the main culprit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• define tone.

Are you losing top end? Volume? Bass?

Drop the wah and the Digitech and see what happens
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah loosing the top end and clarity.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    What Lava are you using, are they the solderless ones?
     Sell the lot.

Realise in a couple of months you miss the pedals and buy them all again.

You will be that pleased to have them back you won't notic any tone loss.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    The soldered ones

markj said:
    dindude said:
    The soldered ones

Bit of a balls up! The soldered lava cables.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • how long are the leads from your amp to you board and from the board to the guitar?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    markj said:
    Bit of a balls up! The soldered lava cables.
    Ok, if it's quite a pronounced loss of high and detail it's still worth checking. I had a situation with a solderless Lava I built at the weekend which checked out as ok with a cable tester but sucked all my tone. It coincided with me putting a new wah in the chain so it was about to go back!
  • remove pedals until it sounds good, then confirm whether it was a pedal or patch cable causing the issue. 

Truth be told, I don't think any of those are known tone suckers, to be honest... 

The JoBo sig wah has a switch for true bypass and whatever the other one is, which *does* suck tone, as he likes it. 
    how long are the leads from your amp to you board and from the board to the guitar?
    This reminds me I must by some shorter cables.

2 metres each side of the pedalboard. When I had my smaller board everything was good. But adding 2 more od pedals and a looper has caused the problem. I was hoping by using a buffer that everything would be fine.
    markj said:
    2 metres each side of the pedalboard. When I had my smaller board everything was good. But adding 2 more od pedals and a looper has caused the problem. I was hoping by using a buffer that everything would be fine.
    Sounds like the problem is one (or both) of those overdrive pedals, or the looper, or one of the extra cables you added when you re-did the board.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5198
    Tc tonesuck if the nova system is anything to go by :)