Boss OC3: Good, bad, or ugly?

What's Hot
AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 156
edited February 2015 in FX
Quite fancy one, but doesn't get much love online compared to some of the ehx products.

Anyone using it? Would like to read some feedback...

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I couldn't comment on the sound as I've never had one or an EHX alternative.

But I would take the Boss switching and reliability over EHX anyday.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Are you comparing the OC3 to the POG?

The MO-2 is probably the closest Boss pedal to a POG (although closer still to a B9)

• Im not a big fan of the sound of POG.
    I think the Boss has a feature which only activates the octave within a certain range. I thought that sounded cool, i imagine i could play a bassline with suboctave then add some fills in the upper register (no sub octave) without disengaging the pedal.

Boss do suggest running a comp in front to improve tracking, not sure if that means it doesn't track well otherwise?
  • I think there is a mode that gives you the lower octave on the lower 3 strings (on normal 6 stringers)

I seem to recall seeing that on a psg demo
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Not tried either but I'd definitely take Boss reliability over EHX's dubious longevity.
    I've had nothing but trouble with EHX.At best they're noisy,at worst they fall apart.
  • Yeah, i like Boss reliability. Plus i think i need a brown pedal to round my collection out.
  • Anyone actually got one?
  • I have one and its a decent pearl for doubling.
  • Thx for the replies. Still deciding :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    For what you want it's probably very good. I didn't like it because it doesn't have the fat analogue bass pedal sound of the OC-2, which I love. (Along with its poor tracking, which you get used to and becomes quite cool!) The OC-3 is much more modern-sounding and tracks quite well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited February 2015
    I do exactly what your asking with mine. I use it poly mode and have the frequency at 11 which gives roughly an e-e octave. I split the signal so that dry goes into my guitar setup and wet into a bass amp.

It's ok but:
    with frequency rolled off the tracking is not as good.
    You still get some noise above your top e.
    You get a weaker note than when frequency is full.

It suits chords with bass on the low e and treble on e.b.g.

Also bear in mind that when you play the bass you will still get guitar, so I stick a volume pedal next in guitar chain. If you don't split the signal then you might not need that

You have to work quite hard to get this right, but it can be effective.