Airbrush

What's Hot
jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
There's a wee shitey airbrush/compressor set in the Lidl for £39 (reduced). I didn't think to look at the specifics, but could I spray nitro with it? Worth a punt for the money?

Ta.
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    Crikey that's a good price, even to practice with.  Am wanting to spray one of mine, so this may be on my shopping list...
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    entee;506952" said:
    Crikey that's a good price, even to practice with.  Am wanting to spray one of mine, so this may be on my shopping list...
    £20 off dude. Can't sniff at that.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I just get nitro spray cans. No cleaning up afterwards!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus;507035" said:
    I just get nitro spray cans. No cleaning up afterwards!
    Aye I know. That's what I currently use, but harking back to the long gone days as a student, the flexibility and control of an airbrush make the clean up worthwhile.
  • gotta be worth it just to get the compressor?!. then try the actual brush and if need be buy a better one. i`ve an airbrush but have to use cans of air, as i don`t use it enough to justify buying a separate comp.
    cacophony said:
    gotta be worth it just to get the compressor?!. then try the actual brush and if need be buy a better one. i`ve an airbrush but have to use cans of air, as i don`t use it enough to justify buying a separate comp.
    Aye I'm going back tomorrow with the express intent of having one away.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You've just persuaded me to get a little 90L compressor this year.  Not only will it help me when changing van tyres, I'II be able to paint guitar bodies and have a go at some airbrush work, especially snakeskin.  Don't know where I'II keep it though.  What is the max time you have with a HVLP on a 90L compressor, I mean will I run out of air halfway through a guitar side, or a door or wing?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:
    You've just persuaded me to get a little 90L compressor this year.  Not only will it help me when changing van tyres, I'II be able to paint guitar bodies and have a go at some airbrush work, especially snakeskin.  Don't know where I'II keep it though.  What is the max time you have with a HVLP on a 90L compressor, I mean will I run out of air halfway through a guitar side, or a door or wing?

You'll have to consult a knowledge base far greater than mine for that one!
    Double bargain, only £29.99 :)
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 852
    edited February 2015
    jd0272 said:
    Sambostar said:

You'll have to consult a knowledge base far greater than mine for that one!

No mate, the compressor will keep kicking in and keep the pressure at the desired amount required for spraying, or whatever you've set it at...basically, it'll fill the tank, then as the air is released it'll keep filling. Slightly deafening if you are painting for a while.

in response to the original point about the airbrush kit, you'll never paint a guitar with an airbrush, well you will, but it'll be ages before you've gotten any paint on the body, the tip on an airbrush and a compressor designed for one just wont allow enough paint out of the brush to paint anything of substance. great for doing fingernails or touchup work on a guitar, but utterly useless for "Respraying" a whole body.

Bugger. Well, the kids have got a noisy new toy then :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 852

Don't take my word for it, it may be okay, but I know the 2 airbrushes and compressors I've got for them would never do the work my guns and big compressor will do.

Well, for 30 notes I'm not gonna cry in me tea! I'll have a go tho.
    Just get a proper compressor for the basecoat colour and get artistic.
    Sambostar said:
    Just get a proper compressor for the basecoat colour and get artistic.
    £30 fella. I'll make it work. Pisser is, I've got all the spray tins for the 3 current projects (fortunes :(  ) just not the weather  :(

So, I'll have to start MORE partsa's to validate the airbrush thingy. Wifey will just love that.

Not exactly a 3rd World problem 'though...
  • thing is, in my limited experience of airbrushes , they lend themselves to the more subtle `touch`, so any `bursts` and shading stuff they`re the dogs` danglers. you can get all arty-farty!...
    My reasoning for getting a small 90-120L compressor is that it will be just over what it would cost for some 2K in a can primer, base, pearl and laquer.  I haven't reckoned in the HVLP gun or equipment or the tines of paint, thinner and activator, but still my reasoning remains the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
    An airbrush will work but you will have to thin the nitro so far that you will need loads more coats, very long dtying times and the strong likelihood that the lacquer will check afterwards. It did with my first attempt. I got a compressor and full size spray gun for the second attempt.