JM Jaguar - changing master electronics query

What's Hot
XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
Well I got my Johnny Marr Jaguar a week ago and the good news is that I love it; feels great to play looks beautiful, and I'm appreciating the switches for low pass and the extra humbucker position.

However, all is not great in Jag world. I know Jags are known to be trebly, but I'm finding it to be like an ice-pick to the forehead in the 6-10 range of tone. While on the other hand, the volume control is almost instant roll-off from 10-9, and doesn't have the effect of cleaning up the guitar like all my other axes do (unless by cleaning up you mean 'turn off'. It's not that I can't get a sound I like out of it, just that the sweet spot of sounds I like is in a very narrow band of movement

Having studied the schematics for the JM Jag and reading various threads across the web, I'm considering changing the pots from 1M to either 500K or 250K and putting in a .47uF capacitor. I'll probably just build a new master control panel and do a straight swap rather than pull the old one apart..

Do the more experienced tinkerers amongst us think I'm on the right track?

Although I build my own guitars too, I haven't done a lot of experimentation with electronics and have just stuck to recommended components. But I feel I've got to change something here!
And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments