Looking for a preamp type pedal

bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

So guys, seeing as the Fly Rig 5 was a complete disaster I'm on the hunt for another pedal. 

instead of a multi-effects unit I'm considering a preamp type of pedal. 

Was having a looking at some of the Catalinbread pedals but not sure what to get as I haven't been keeping up to date with pedals over the last few years.

I like heavy Marshall sounds, like Doug Aldrich and Gary Moore. 

Having said that, on the demo for the Catalinbread RAH pedal it sounded pretty high gain but I'm not sure what it would be like playing at home (which is where I will be using this pedal). 

I will probably boost the pedal with an overdrive or a booster pedal. 

So....what do you think? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    AMT or Bogner 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    AMT as well. I've got the F1, it's not high gain but it's quiet and very versatile.
    Most of the demos of the higher gain boxes sound pretty good and they're reasonably priced.
  • AMT seem to get a good rep. I'm a big fan of the Radial Tonebone stuff. Classic and Trimode for American (Boogie/ Hot Rod Fender) and Hot British and Plexitube for British. Big and can be expensive buying new but hella good. 
  • Ah yea I'd forgotten about AMT stuff. I must look into those pedals too cheers.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Kingsley Jouster.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The Blackstar Ht Dual does those thing really well, the drawbacks are, it's mahoosive, and it needs it's own powersupply.

The Marshall Jackhammer is also really good and readily available for not much dollar.

Actually, since the DSL went down, I've had a set-up of Guvnor1, Shredmaster, Drivemaster, and Jackhammer for my dirty pre-amp sounds, all do a really good variation on the classic Marshall sound.

The hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive also does the Marshall-in-a-box fantastically well, for low dollar too/

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:

The Blackstar Ht Dual does those thing really well, the drawbacks are, it's mahoosive, and it needs it's own powersupply.

The Marshall Jackhammer is also really good and readily available for not much dollar.

Actually, since the DSL went down, I've had a set-up of Guvnor1, Shredmaster, Drivemaster, and Jackhammer for my dirty pre-amp sounds, all do a really good variation on the classic Marshall sound.

The hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive also does the Marshall-in-a-box fantastically well, for low dollar too/

Actually that Jackhammer sounds pretty damn good. Might check that one out!!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Worth it, I think Coda has a used one for £25. I prefer the O/D side to the distortion, but both are good. The EQ does need changing between the OD and dist side.

The Guvnor2 is also really good, again for not much dollar.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24470
    AMT all day long.
  • In the finish up I just went for the Boss OD1X. Should be here next week.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Dod 250
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

"The Blackstar Ht Dual does those thing really well, the drawbacks are, it's mahoosive"

There is now the LT range which is an attempt to duplicate the sound of the 300volt pedals with a 9 volt battery!

I really could not say, ears are shot but might be worth a look at?

Dave.

• ecc83 said:

"The Blackstar Ht Dual does those thing really well, the drawbacks are, it's mahoosive"

There is now the LT range which is an attempt to duplicate the sound of the 300volt pedals with a 9 volt battery!

I really could not say, ears are shot but might be worth a look at?

Dave.

Cheers.

I actually just went with the Boss OD1X.  It's a very good pedal IMO.  Kind of a gritty overdrive.  Warmer than the SD-1 to my ears and more flexible with the EQ on it.  Sounds pretty good through the Cube Lite on the clean channel to my hears.  
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16122
    What about a true Pre-amp pedal .........
    like a MESA BOOGIE V TWIN ....superb fat clean , crunch/blues and full on hi gain options
    basically it will give you all the trade-mark boogie tones and become increasingly collectable
    they are a superb bit of over -engineered kit