How do you choose?

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 676
How do you guys decide which pedals make the cut and get used on your boards? I have quite a lot of really great sounding drive pedals, all excelling at more than one purpose, and I find it almost impossible to decide which one's I'll put on my board and which one's are left out. I'd love to have them all on there, but at the same time I don't want a board that's too cluttered. Bound to be a few of you out there in the same boat? How do you make up your mind?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Buy a bigger board :D

If I'm in a band, it's what the set list needs, if not, what I enjoy the most

My board changes all the time
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader
    I tend to operate a "Winner stays on" policy. 

Anything off board gets sold. The only time I've had problems is when I've bought a load of really good similar pedals to A/B them often the answer is that they all sound good, but different.
  • I generally have my main stays then one or 2 that get sold to be replaced by something new once in a while

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    squad rotation
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Whichever one sounds best with the band. It's impossible to objectively judge a pedal in a vacuum IMO. Lots of stuff I've had had sounded great at home but not mattered live.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader
    hugbot said:
    Whichever one sounds best with the band. It's impossible to objectively judge a pedal in a vacuum IMO. Lots of stuff I've had had sounded great at home but not mattered live.
    This is very true. 

I've had loads of pedals that sounded amazing at home and then just completely sucked balls in a band mix. It's why the relatively humble Badass OD has been kicked then come back about half a dozen times. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    I think you know when you know.

I'd never sell my wah as my dad bought me that 20 years ago when i first started playing.  I went through a bit of a process with OD/Drive pedals (still flutter with them today) but once I picked up my wampler pedal I knew that was a keeper.

I sold a Flashback recently, it's a great pedal but I just didnt use 99% of the functions and I wanted something else. I have regretted selling a few though, namely a Boss PH1-r. I loved that thing, but I really needed the money :(
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited February 2015
    Our ears play daily tricks on us... better to buy spare ears and keep the pedals you already got
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

the others i see what sound best in a chain and if one doesnt add spice to the overall sound it will go.

drjazztap is right. . . you should know in your heart if a pedal is not working out.

but there have been plenty of times ive regretted selling so i now have a drawer of pedals which i try out when a new pedal arrives.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I tend to operate a "Winner stays on" policy. 

Anything off board gets sold, usually to Mike.
    :P Ain't that the truth......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have my set pedals that are required certain songs in the set list, mostly these are the modulation ones. Because I am happy with them they don't really get changed.

OD's is much harder, and I do change fairly regularly. I've been through a lot but my current soul food has been on the longest by far... nearly a year now,  mainly because it just works. Will probably change it only when I get bored with it. 

Recently I have struggled to find things that improve my sound, so lots of pedals have been in - out. I also always carry a spare od, and a spare delay in my gig bag, as these two alone are essential to me.

My unloved list is currently
    JHS colorbox
    TC Corona Chorus
    Moore Green Mile
    Red Panda Context Reverb (although this needs more time)

I normally keep them 6 months to really give them time, then shift them on. Will be selling this lot soon no doubt.

• Well I've spent a good couple of hours comparing the pedals side by side, and I genuinely don't have a favourite pedal. One doesn't outshine the other greatly enough for it to be a clear winner. They all sound great for what I use them for in the band.

Eeny-meeny-miney-mo then??

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31864
    I just changed my main OD pedal this morning!

I tend to rotate them if I get bored, but I always keep one core sound OD on the board with three-band EQ.
    The thing I need most control over with different venues and varying volumes is midrange - if I can't tweak it it can be frustrating and hard to work around.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4625
    Buy a fuzz, that will give you a favourite pedal :)

If they all sound great then you are on to a winner .. which is the prettiest colour?
  • DesVegas said:
    Buy a fuzz, that will give you a favourite pedal :)

If they all sound great then you are on to a winner .. which is the prettiest colour?

Already did.....Paul Trombetta Mini Bone from this very parish  ;)

Colours.....that doesnt even help, ha ha - I've got purple, blue, bright orange, red, yellow, green/purple......They all look great!

• How do you guys decide which pedals make the cut and get used on your boards? I have quite a lot of really great sounding drive pedals, all excelling at more than one purpose, and I find it almost impossible to decide which one's I'll put on my board and which one's are left out. I'd love to have them all on there, but at the same time I don't want a board that's too cluttered. Bound to be a few of you out there in the same boat? How do you make up your mind?
    When I can't choose what to keep, I put all my pedals in a big house together for six weeks and let the general public decide. 

I've now got Katie Price on my pedalboard. She sucks tone dreadfully. 

• FazerFazer Frets: 468

When I can't choose what to keep, I put all my pedals in a big house together for six weeks and let the general public decide. 

I've now got Katie Price on my pedalboard. She sucks tone dreadfully. 

silicon transistors
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I don't like hoarding stuff that's not on my board.

If its good enough that I use it then it stays.

If I don't like it they normally get flipped.

Then rebought

Then flipped again.

• smudge_lad;513321" said:
    Well I've spent a good couple of hours comparing the pedals side by side, and I genuinely don't have a favourite pedal. One doesn't outshine the other greatly enough for it to be a clear winner. They all sound great for what I use them for in the band.Eeny-meeny-miney-mo then??
    Then sell on the one that loses the least investment!