Recommend me a keyboard/piano amp!!!

NerineNerine Frets: 2279
edited February 2015 in Amps
So, the keys/pianist in the band blew his amp again last night.

So I said I'd ask for recommendations from the kind chaps at The Fretboard for some potential ideas.

Needs to be

Fairly portable
Not too heavy
Plenty of headroom.
Suitable for a jazz trio also that uses a small PA for vocals I think.
Needs to be able to handle bass pedals as well for that gig.

So the holy trinity really...

I did think about about an active PA cab with small mixer as he uses two keyboards. (And occasionally bass pedals as noted.)

Or an off the wall suggestion of maybe a big clean Marshall but I'm not sure it would sound very full range with keys

Maybe a decent bass amp?

Thinking that would handle the pedals quite well.

Any thoughts or ideas??

He does have a 2x12 Roland keyboard amp which I think is a KC-880 and an old Fender one too, but both get pretty thrashed and I think he wants something new.

Not really my area of expertise...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Keep the Roland and tidy it up if necessary. It's an excellent amp and you won't do better for any sensible money - they're almost £900 new.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited February 2015
    Fender Twin or Super Reverb and a good supply of tinned spinach...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_zlx_12p.htm

We have a couple of them at our church that we use as floor wedges.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 619

I used to have a Roland KC350 keyboard amp that I used to amplify a Line6 POD and a drum machine. Was 100% reliable and a really useful bit of kit. Eventually traded it for a full range PA speaker (Wharfedale Titan 12A) for convenience (smaller/ lighter)   but that went "pop" fairly quickly used in the same capacity so although the concept was good, I can't recommend that model.

I'd happily recommend the Roland (and can be picked up for reasonable money secondhand) as they sound pretty good, are reliable and have good routing/ mixing options .Quite heavy though. Failing that, a decent full range powered PA speaker but I've yet to find one I could personally recommend.