PRS...why no US made Bernie Marsden

What's Hot
andyozandyoz Frets: 718
I still enjoy my first PRS...an SE Bernie Marsden.

It's been popular with the reviewers and buyers from what I can see. Wonder why they haven't done a US made version? Make it a big heavy growling beast. Maybe that's on the cards.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 856
    I'd rather they made an SE Grissom
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    I think he specifically wanted a low cost guitar he could feel comfortable touring having previously toured a priceless Les Paul. 

He also probably makes a lot more on royalties on having a sig SE.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Not really that well known outside the UK. Not a big name player.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72664
    The USA Singlecut 245 is essentially that, only with a standard control layout.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    True, it is basically a SC245
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23119
    With no disrespect to Bernie, I don't suppose many US customers would know who he is, so a US version of his sig probably simply wouldn't sell well enough.

edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    I don't think that stacks up as there doesn't seem to be any difference in fame between people who have sig SE and Core Line 

SE Sigs
    SE Bernie Marsden
    SE Clint Lowery
    SE Dave Navarro
    SE Mark Tremonti
    SE Mark Tremonti Custom
    SE Marty Friedman
    SE Santana
    SE Zach Myers

Core Sigs
    Alex Lifeson Thinline Private Stock
    Brent Mason
    Cody Kilby Private Stock
    DGT
    Dustie Waring NEW!
    Gary Grainger 4-String Bass
    Gary Grainger 5-String Bass
    Mark Holcomb NEW!
    Mark Tremonti
    Martin Simpson Private Stock
    NS-14 (Neal Schon)
    Santana
    Tony McManus Private Stock

I'd say there are more obscure people on the coreline list. I don't think DG is especially famous even in the US.

EDIT: I notice they've dropped the Paul Jackson Jr model which is a travesty.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23119
    edited February 2015
    I think Grissom, like Santana and Tremonti, is a bit of a special case because he has been a very long-time PRS player who (as far as I know) really does use them as his main stage and studio guitars.  And I'd guess many players know the DGT model who aren't even familiar with DG as a player.

The acoustic players and bassists with Core range signatures aren't well known to me but they probably have a dedicated following and in any case those models would only be expected to sell in very small quantities anyway.

The SE signature models seem to be aimed at younger players, and older ones with perhaps less-deep pockets which is where Bernie comes in.  And they seem to come and go even more quickly than the Core signatures - no Allender any more, no Mushok, no Opeth models...

So how do Dustie Waring and Mark Holcomb fit in with this theory of mine?  Buggered if I know... 

:-S
  • Tony McManus, who is one of the acoustic endorsees is considered to be best Celtic guitarist in the world by many. Maybe not well known outside his genre but massively influential within it
  • @monquixote - no royalties for PRS endorsees as far as I'm aware, just cheaper/faster acces to custom spec ones via the artist relations team. That certainly was the case until the last few years anyway, I'm a little out of the game these days.
  • guitargeek62;512659" said:
    @monquixote - no royalties for PRS endorsees as far as I'm aware, just cheaper/faster acces to custom spec ones via the artist relations team. That certainly was the case until the last few years anyway, I'm a little out of the game these days.
    Including Santana?
    tFB Trader
    @monquixote - no royalties for PRS endorsees as far as I'm aware, just cheaper/faster acces to custom spec ones via the artist relations team. That certainly was the case until the last few years anyway, I'm a little out of the game these days.
    That surprises me. 

I can't believe Santana hasn't had a penny out of them. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    I think Grissom, like Santana and Tremonti, is a bit of a special case because he has been a very long-time PRS player who (as far as I know) really does use them as his main stage and studio guitars.  
    Tremonti uses gibson in studio. My friend teched some shows and was surprised that he has LPs on tour too. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Hang on...what's this they are talking about at 40:00

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ...I'm saving...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30949

He has shitty teeth- hence no promotional value for PRS US for the orthodontic guitar market in America

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Gassage;693082" said:
    He has shitty teeth- hence no promotional value for PRS US for the orthodontic guitar market in America
    Always one...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30949

mrchi said:
    Gassage;693082" said:
    Always one...

And invariably me...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Gassage;693082" said:
    Says the guy with a dentists pedalboard.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    Because most people have no idea who the fuck he is?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom