My Tele kit build.

breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
Got a Gear4music Telecaster kit for Christmas and finally got round to putting it together.It wasn't a bad kit but it does need quite a bit if work to make it an ok instrument.The neck needs a bit of work on the frets and needs a finish putting on it which I basically can't be arsed to do at the minute so I've used a CH Guitars neck I had laying around instead.I know the headstock will split opinion but it's such a comfortable neck with lovely frets and rolled fingerboard edges and feels quite similar to my Charvel San Dimas,I just had to use it.I'll probably sort the supplied neck at a later date.I just need to add a thin piece of veneer on the treble side of the neck pocket to fill a small gap.

I wired it and stringed it up yesterday and this threw up few problems.Firstly,horrendous buzzing which was soon rectified when I realised I'd wired the jack socket the wrong way round.Then there's no output from the neck pickup which I think may be a switch problem as there is also no output from the bridge pickup when in the middle position.The electrics will be getting replaced with an Axesrus wiring loom when I have the funds.

On stringing it I noticed the string spacing at the bridge is all over the place but as I intend to replace the saddles with brass ones this should be easily rectified.

Lastly the tuners are complete bobbins so they'll be getting replaced at some point.

The body is really nice and came up lovely with a couple of coats of brown furniture wax.

All the hardware except the tuners have been lightly aged as to me it looked wrong all shiny and new.

I've not done a full set up yet as most if the parts will be coming off again soon.

Overall an enjoyable build,however taking into account how much of the kit will be getting replaced I do wonder if I'd have been better off starting from scratch.

Anyway here's the obligatory pictures. [IMG]http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q659/breakstuff42/DSC_0749_zps702bc17a.jpg[/IMG] The dodgy saddles. [IMG]http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q659/breakstuff42/DSC_0751_zpsab9badfa.jpg[/IMG]
Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Forum won't let me post more than two pics for some reason.

Here's another.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I like the wood grain.
    A Wilkinson bridge would look good on it and I think they're under 20 quid, least mine was a couple of years ago.
  • Foe what it's worth, I think the guitar headstock looks fine. A little different, but nothing bad. Quite comparable to a Harley Benton Tele head. You did a good job on the body with furniture wax. Looks really good. Can you suggest a brand/make/model for doing something similair? Do you have to cover it in some kind of varnish or lacquer afterwards to stop it rubbing off? As @Sassafras said a Wilkinson bridge would look the part and are good value for money. maybe a short Tele bridge in chrome, gold or black? They're about £20 odd.
    You can also get a pair of vintage voice 50's or 60's pickups for your guitar made by Wilkinson on Ebay for less than £30. Look up Vanson guitars on ebay or web. You can get them in chrome or gold finishes. I've just ordered a set for my Harley Benton Challenge mod Tele. Hope this helps. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    @JudasVigilante the wax I used is Annie Sloane brand,something my wife bought for her shabby chic furniture.Thought I'd try it out thinking I could always sand it off if it didn't work out,however made a really good job of highlighting the grain.I may give the body a couple of coats of clear wax depending on how the present finish wares.

I'll probably be looking at changing the hardware,pickups and electrics at a later date so I'll check out the gear you mentioned.
    Thanks.