Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Thomann?

What's Hot
Hi peeps

I love Gibson Les Paul Customs. It is my favourite guitar bar none.

Thomann are selling these for £2k, which is a grand less than most UK stores.

Are the customs more consistent than the standards? I've bought a Les Paul Junior online form the UK and love it. My LP Trad Pro 2 was from a shop and I tried 3 and chose the best, they varied somewhat. I bought an SG and tried 3 and they varied alot!

Sorry I'll get to the point, should I buy an Les Paul Custom from Thomann?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Last week my wife ordered me a Takamine F250SM acoustic from Thomann as it was an absolute bargain. The guitar arrived well packed and they kept us informed of its progress throughout the delivery process.

Based on this experience I would happily purchase a guitar from Thomann again and would recommend them to anyone.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    If you're spending that much you should try it first.

The best LP custom I ever had was from 81. You could get one for 2k.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    At worst you pay to ship it back within 30 days if you don't like it, go for it.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I feel your GAS pain mate.
  • This is GAS that has been with me for 25 years, and now it feels like a great time to scratch the itch ;)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Is your itch an ebony fretboard?

Best look used if it is.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    That is a very good point.
  • Iamnobody said:
    Is your itch an ebony fretboard?

Best look used if it is.
    Nope, I have an ESP Horizon NTII that has an ebony fretboard so that itch has been scratched a while ago :)

I just love Les Paul Customs, richlite or ebony either way is fine with me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    That's good. Just checking you knew I guess. I'm not sure whether it would bother me as I'm not in the market for one.

I've got/had guitars with ebony fretboards and I can't say I prefer them over maple or rosewood.

I've never played a rich lite board but I wouldn't be put off by a guitar with one.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • for me fretboard wood is the least important wood element of a guitar, i've had ebony, maple, rosewood....for £2k i think they are a great buy, plus the 30 day return policy makes it a no brainer

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Here is a 1987 Les Paul Custom as an example of an older one that for similar money would not devalue by £500 as soon as you bought it...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0pcwuv9fzchgh6/lpcustom.jpg?raw=1
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    edited February 2015
    Chalky said:
    Here is a 1987 Les Paul Custom as an example of an older one that for similar money would not devalue by £500 as soon as you bought it...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0pcwuv9fzchgh6/lpcustom.jpg?raw=1
    Nice guitar! 

So I can buy a brand new, mint, LPC for £2k or a second hand one for £2k? and the brand new one I bought would only be worth £1,500?

Plus I really don't trust people and know I'd probably end up paying £2k for a fake LPC or a LPC that has had headstock repairs or been dropped or comes with a crappy non original case.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I said similar money because a secondhand LPC would cost 1.5 to 2k - a range of prices applies to secondhand obviously.

I find folks on here to be trustworthy, having made about 10 purchases from different folks. Never been let down :)
  • Chalky said:
    I said similar money because a secondhand LPC would cost 1.5 to 2k - a range of prices applies to secondhand obviously.

I find folks on here to be trustworthy, having made about 10 purchases from different folks. Never been let down :)
    Still, a brand new guitar for practically the same price of secondhand isn't bad at all.

I'd find the guitar with issues don't worry about that, everything I buy breaks hehe
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited February 2015
    Lescaster said:
    So I can buy a brand new, mint, LPC for £2k or a second hand one for £2k? and the brand new one I bought would only be worth £1,500?
    If the new one is richlite, and the second hand one is ebony, then yes, I think your numbers might be right.

Cork-sniffers have a lot of buying power.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very true Mart, they even have a forum especially for them ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    If the Thomas's one is a good one then there is no reason not to get a new one.

The key word here is IF, I guess there is the same risk as buying a used one, driving 100 miles to find a dud.  

With the 30 days return the risk is pretty minimal with Thomann and providing you don't intend to sell it, there is no difference whether you buy new or used.