Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Magic

What's Hot
Is anyone else fascinated by magic?
I especially love slight of hand tricks- cards in particular. I can't actually do it, but watching it makes me feel like a kid (rather than a jaded 30 something scientist).
Here's my favourite magician in action: Ricky Jay.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676
    Yup.

Been earning money performing magic for 8 years now. I love it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Not really.

I have come to the conclusion that all music shops are run by magicians as they always make my money disappear :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72710
    edited February 2015
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C . Clarke

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I loved Simon Drake's show Secret Cabaret.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    edited February 2015
    Magic is brilliant. 

I heard a psychologist recently saying about the brain and perception and how, as psychologists, they would get excited by the way they could produce a simple optical illusion to make a subject think that one line seemed to be slightly longer than another... and then along comes a magician and he makes a fucking elephant disappear!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    One of my favourites. 

The amazing Michael Vincent.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 367
    Michael Vincent is wonderful.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    Clicked the link and ended up watching all of it!

Great magic and brilliant showman. Loved it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    ICBM said:
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C . Clarke
    It is if you use a carbon dioxide extinguisher.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    This thread reminds me that I still haven't been to a Jerry Sadowitz gig. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4613
    If they come with a beautiful assitant, i'm your man.
  • vizviz Frets: 10734
    DesVegas said:

Actually I think it's normally a lady assistant that they're looking for.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    DesVegas said:

So you're willing to wear the sparkly leotard then?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Is anyone else fascinated by magic?
    I especially love slight of hand tricks- cards in particular. I can't actually do it, but watching it makes me feel like a kid (rather than a jaded 30 something scientist).
    Here's my favourite magician in action: Ricky Jay.

I'd only seen extracts of that before - that was brilliant!

• I love it, particularly sleight of hand, but don't think I have enough interest to learn the techniques. I'm usually very patient but I reckon it requires repetitive practise and that's something I don't enjoy.

Also, I've always wondered how you can learn when much of the trickery is kept secret.
    I have performed this effect once.

Needless to say it took an astonishing amount of time to learn it!

• I like the slight of hand stuff, but the David Copperfield-esque "Im gonna make this 747 disappear, then I'm gonna walk through the Great Wall of China" can f**k off.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • From what I have read most of the basic card tricks seem to be based on false shuffles. If you can reliably keep the top/bottom card where you want it (which isn't that hard - some of the simple false shuffles are very easy and still extremely hard to spot) you can do all sorts of magical things. Some of the cooler false shuffles are worth watching just because they are good examples of dexterity - like juggling - and they are wasted on the viewer who will be just as baffled by an easy one.
  • I have a friend who does the kind of mentalist stuff, if that's the right word? Most recently he is doing Hellstromism techniques, i.e. reading people's involuntary muscle movements. Clever stuff,it's almost more impressive than actual real magic would be!

I love it, particularly sleight of hand, but don't think I have enough interest to learn the techniques. I'm usually very patient but I reckon it requires repetitive practise and that's something I don't enjoy.

Also, I've always wondered how you can learn when much of the trickery is kept secret.

Practice: To roughly refer to Penn's book. They do a trick where an item is dropped behind a cardboard cut out of a celebrity. The audience doesn't see it happening as something else is going on at the same time, but without it the trick wouldn't work.

That single element (the dropping) took Penn 8 months of daily practice before he was happy to move the trick from 'development' into 'rehearsal.'

Similarly Paul Daniels performed one of the best Single Cup & Ball routines ever done. He was happy with his competence on it after 18 months of practice.

Of course there are some effects that take far less time to learn and can be performed after a couple of hours. It's no different to music really - learn the language and the basic skill set and that speeds up the learning of new pieces.