A new approach to FX.....(for me)

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
edited February 2015 in FX

Hi

My name is Beexter and I'm a Pedal-holic.

For years, I've set my amps clean and got dirt and everything from pedals. I hardly ever touched the tone and volume controls on my guitars - just ran 'em wide open.

I want to try something different.

I'm gonna try and get all the dirt tones I need from setting the amp up and playing around with guitar tone and volume on the fly. The amp has no reverb and no loop. Heck, the clean channel only has a single volume knob - that's it!

Soooo..... seeing as I can't go totally cold turkey, what other pedal TYPES would you add in to the mix. Reverb? Delay? Compressor? Boost? Interested to hear suggestions but NO dirt pedals please....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Beexter said:

I want to try something different.

Have you tried opening your heart to Jesus?

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Try a volume pedal and see if you like it, especially if you perform with a band.

I do a lot of rolled back volume stuff but I much prefer using a volume pedal to the volume control on the guitar, one major advantage is that it leaves both your hands free for playing.  Personally I also find it an advantage as I have a volume pedal after a noise gate, so that rolling back the volume doesn't mean the guitar doesn't have enough signal to open the gate anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • METAL ZONE!!!!

its not a dirt pedal, its a filth pedal :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    REVERB, that's all you really need and then just a tad of it. Maybe a booster as well.
  • No loop so I personally wouldn't think of delay or reverb, though others would disagree. I would go for a phaser and tremolo. Maybe a wah? And a fuzz, for a different type of dirt.
    I've never used a loop, it's been either amp reverb or a pedal. Seems to work fine into the amp.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I tried a delay in front of the amp once... my ears cannot unhear what was heard on that day...

However, consider an EQ in front of a dirty amp. You can use it to cut the volume for a clean sound and also shape the tone how you like it for cleans (often it's the opposite of how I like it for dirty).
    Don't multi FX go straight into the amp?
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I love my amp dirt.

But it's a pain having the delay setup in the loop because I am lazy and need shorter cables :(

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Beexter said:

I'm gonna try and get all the dirt tones I need from setting the amp up and playing around with guitar tone and volume on the fly. The amp has no reverb and no loop. Heck, the clean channel only has a single volume knob - that's it!

Soooo..... seeing as I can't go totally cold turkey, what other pedal TYPES would you add in to the mix. Reverb? Delay? Compressor? Boost? Interested to hear suggestions but NO dirt pedals please...

Rocker 30? :)

In that case get a fuzz pedal - not overdrive, not distortion - fuzz. It's not the same at all and the clean channel on that amp takes fuzz like nothing else…

Vintage-style fuzz pedals also interact with the guitar controls amazingly well, so you won't lose that aspect of what you're trying to do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM said:
    Beexter said:

Soooo..... seeing as I can't go totally cold turkey, what other pedal TYPES would you add in to the mix. Reverb? Delay? Compressor? Boost? Interested to hear suggestions but NO dirt pedals please...

In that case get a fuzz pedal - not overdrive, not distortion - fuzz. It's not the same at all and the clean channel on that amp takes fuzz like nothing else…

Vintage-style fuzz pedals also interact with the guitar controls amazingly well, so you won't lose that aspect of what you're trying to do.

^ Trust this man...Fuzz into an Orange 30 is a religious experience. Out of the types of fuzz, i prefered fuzz face style ones with the Orange, but Muff worked fine too.

as for Delay and Reverb...reverb is great...and into the front of an amp is no issue. I've done everything into the front ever since i can remember. At one point i had an amp that had an effects loop...and i tried it to see if i was missing anything...and it wasnt that much different, the settings on delay and reverb have to change between the different setups due to where they sit, but i prefer a minimal set up with less cables.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    ICBM said:

You got me! Yep, Rocker 30. Bloody love it! I've got a few fuzzes to play with. Just picked up a Musket from the classifieds (have always wanted to try one) but also have a BYOC Large Beaver (Rams Head Spec), Buffalo FX Evolution, MXR Classic 108, Monsterpiece NPN, Tonefactor Huckleberry and a Skreddy Lunar Module.

Fun times ahead!