Mesa Distortion pedals

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

Who has them? what are your thoughts?

seeing Mike Sullivan using them has got them on my radar. I really like his tone and he is quite particular about his gear, so keen to hear thoughts from anyone who has it and how they are.

I think the ones he uses is the Flux drive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'd quite like to try the Throttle Box, if it really is a low gainer.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited February 2015
    The Throttle Box is the highest gainer of the Mesa pedals... Dual Rec in a box.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I tried the throttle box,it sounded great for chords & crap for melodic lines. I still think the 7thvn is the one to beat in terms of a non valve amp in a box
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Silly me!
    I meant the Tone Burst, not the Throttle Box.
    Wondered how it compares to the Xotic RC or AC.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Yeah the throttle box is not really interesting to me...i dont really like the voicing...

Any experience with the Flux??
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I had a flux drive for a while, I liked it into a dirty amp, or into another drive pedal. The eq was good, not as drastic as the Xotic stuff.
    @pete24v you never used it on a clean amp? 
    I tired it, wasn't massively impressed, other pedals were better at that job.
    ok thats my answer right there!

thanks mate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    I've got the Flux Drive, and it's the best overdrive-sounding-like-an-amp pedal I've ever tried. It's so good that using it into the clean channel of my amp is better than the dirty channel by itself, at low volume.

It does not have that irritating slight separation between the dirty sound and an underlying clean just before a note decays back below the point of clipping, which drives me nuts about almost all solid-state overdrives.

OK, it is very middy at the centred positions on the EQ - I use it with the bass turned up all the way and the treble very nearly. It's not that high-gain either - it will clean up with light picking or rolling the guitar volume back slightly even with the gain all the way up.

In contrast to Pete I don't like it as much into a dirty amp, at least not at the settings it sounds best at into a clean one, and I prefer it with another overdrive/distortion in front to going into another one. I would use it as an extra-channel pedal at the end of the board and after any other dirt pedals.

The only things I don't like are that it's true bypass (sorry, not a fan - and it's implemented badly too) not buffered, and that the knobs are fragile, I'd had it less than a day when I dropped it and broke one :(. Oh well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222

the mesa tone burst sounds good in this clip. Used as a low gain overdrive into a clean amp.
    edited February 2015
    Everyone is different, I simply preferred an Xotic bb or a Mojohand Rook, they sound amazing into clean amps, especially Fenders

Exactly - just preference. I haven't tried those two either - just the Xotic RC, which I like but is more of a boost with a bit of dirt and less of a full-blown overdrive than the Mesa, I think, although obviously each can do both things.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24483
    I know Mesa should really be able to make a Rec in a Box, but having owned several Recs I think the AMT Legend R2 is far closer to the amp than the Throttle Box. And it's quite a bit cheaper.

Not tried the others.
  • I have and use the tone burst - it's a great clean boost, to very mild OD - but I  only use it to push my already broken up amp. As a standalone OD it's awful. It sounds great with my balckstar ht40, but not so nice with my laney club 12.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Seems like Anna Calvi uses the Tone Burst on her board

Stop crying, start buying
    fretmeister said:

I know Mesa should really be able to make a Rec in a Box, but having owned several Recs I think the AMT Legend R2 is far closer to the amp than the Throttle Box.
    I didn't particularly like what I heard of the Throttle Box in the demos. I have a V-Twin anyway, which is the only Rectifier in a floor pedal I will ever need.

I really wanted the Flux Drive because it's more like the lead channel of my old DC-5, which I miss sometimes - or like the V-1 pedal, which is similar.