Big Pedalboard Update

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27181
Some of you may remember me spending the last few months talking a lot about Whammys and POGs and swirlys and then going and buying more delay pedals than I needed.

Well I've finished. By which I mean now own too many pedals (is that technical possible?) and now have to fit approximately 40% of it onto my board, and sell half of the leftovers to clear the overspend...

So, pictures. Everyone likes pictures, right?

This is how it's looked for two and a half years or so: M9 with VPJr was brought in when I was gigging covers and provided a shitload of options.

Pedalboard, Jan 2015 photo IMG_0082_zpsrszgdggp.jpg

That's being replaced by a Timefactor, a Whammy V and a Univibe, which is rather exciting, not least because the Whammy is bright frickin red and is a huge amount of fun. 

For the Timefactor, I've taken a Digitech FSX3 switch, removed the "tip+ring" switch and fitted the remnants into a 1590A for maximum smallness. Hitting both switches at once gives the same effect as the removed switch, so it's a good solution for a small-ish board.

Working on new bits photo IMG_0084_zpsj8nv1int.jpg

Of course what good is buggering about with 1590A without pancake jacks where usable? Turns out they're a bitch to wire, especially in stereo like this one for the Timefactor's aux, so I'm sticking with the Bullet Slugs I already have.

Stereo pancake photo IMG_0085_zpskzsorbmr.jpg

Thankfully, it all worked first time. Not a complicated task by any stretch, but it's always when things work :)

Testing testing photo IMG_0088_zpszg62ilf1.jpg

So here's the incoming bunch, all lined up and velcroed and ready to go. In comes an Eventide Timefactor, Whammy V, Fredric Golden Eagle Klone, Univibe, and pedal parts Rat clone, replacing my old 2002 Rat, which still sounds great but isn't as quite as flexible as this one with Ruetz and YDR mods. 

All set! photo IMG_0001_2_zpskh27wcax.jpg

Out will be the old Rat, SHO clone, M9, VPJr and BYOC Comp. The Polytune and Hotcake are staying, and if there's room I'll squeeze a 1590A Stratoblaster on too :)

I'm in Oman the rest of the week, so the layout, wiring and power will get finished at the weekend. Can't wait!!
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have an Eventide and the digitech fsx3 thing.
    Was there any reason to rehouse it over using a stereo cable to get all 3 buttons working?

Big fan of Eventide and the whammy

what board is that lot going on?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an Eventide and the digitech fsx3 thing.
    Was there any reason to rehouse it over using a stereo cable to get all 3 buttons working?

Big fan of Eventide and the whammy

what board is that lot going on?
    The small AUX is purely to preserve a bit of board real estate - the FSX3 is bigger than an MXR pedal, and in any case, I only want Tap and BankDown anyway, so expecting to leave the ring+tip option empty. It was actually only about 30 minutes for all drilling and making up the cable, so no bother.

The board is a Pedaltrain Jr. An easy size for fitting on a stage if I get gigging again, doesn't take up much room at home, but still has space for frivolous chunky shizzle like the Whammy :)
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited February 2015
    When you say big pedalboard, you're rather over calling the ambition there. I'd say your plan is more small to modest at best to be quite frank (see show your pedal board thread) ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When you say big pedalboard, you're rather over calling the ambition there. I'd say your plan is more small to modest at best to be quite frank (see show your pedal board thread) ;-)
    Some might say you are over compensating for a short coming else where :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    When you say big pedalboard, you're rather over calling the ambition there. I'd say your plan is more small to modest at best to be quite frank (see show your pedal board thread) ;-)
    Some might say you are over compensating for a short coming else where :-P
    Are you implying he has a short scale guitar.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Er, you seem to have forgotten to put your hotcake back on. Minus ten pedals points.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27181
    edited February 2015
    My title implies a big update, not a big board. Less is more, old chap :)
    GavHaus said:
    Er, you seem to have forgotten to put your hotcake back on. Minus ten pedals points.
    While I agree with your judgement, I did state down the end there that the Hotcake is staying on-board, so ner nerr ne ner nerr :p ;)

(but I've given you a wisdom for devotion to the Hotcake. It is a worth cause)
  • All change!!!

All change!!

Naked board for the first time in years

Naked board

All pedals went on very easily and thankfully fitted exactly as planned :)
    All finished, time to power up

Kept the underneath nice and neat for the first time.

Underneath gubbins

No cable tie sticky pad things, so used offcuts from velcro cable ties instead, which work very well.

Keeping things tidy

Time for testing! With a little help...

Testing, with help!

And a better angle :)

It all sounds great. Very happy to have an Eventide again rather than the Timeline I briefly tried. I don't care what TGP say, I prefer it by quite a lot. The only thing I'm not sure of is the Klon, it's a great pedal, but I'm not sure it's the best thing I have to usefor clean boost with my Lionhearted, so that may get swapped for my Stratoblaster clone. Likewise the Rat is a bit of a learning curve compared with my old one, so my old non-LM308N may go back on. Doesn't matter what I do, that old thing has been on every pedal board I've ever had to the point it's virtually part of me.

All done

• looking good

I didnt know pete cornish made a rat pedal :-P
  • Nice looking Timefactor :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11904
    Nice work !
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    That's a cool board. 

Interested in what made you choose that drive order. 
  • That's a good board. Big applause of approval here. 

• robinbowes;521484" said:
    Nice looking Timefactor :)
    I thought so :) I haven't set up any presets yet, or out my old ones back on, but it sounds jut how I remember from my old one. I need to get some labels for the Aux switch too.. :)
    monquixote;521508" said:
    That's a cool board. 

Interested in what made you choose that drive order. 
    I've always gone Rat, Hotcake, boost tbh. I had a liquid sunshine on there when I was using a Rivera Clubster but I've found these 2 always work well with Laneys. I don't often stack them as the Rat is mental on it's own, so I guess the order doesn't even matter that much.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Ah that makes sense then. 

I always consider the RAT as better pushed than pushing, but if you don't stack then who cares.