Blowing a fuse

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Haha… least I can do is give it to ICBM for his wisdom and help.

Praise his name!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitar;519705" said:
    Haha… least I can do is give it to ICBM for his wisdom and help
    That's a really cool sentiment - good on you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72723

Haha… least I can do is give it to ICBM for his wisdom and help.

Praise his name!
    That's possibly going a little far ;).

I also promise not to sell it on for commercial gain if I can make anything useful out of it without destroying it in the process :). I know they were quite an expensive piece of kit originally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Lol, it's cool man. I only wish you were local so I could pay you for your services :-)

I got it with the plexi anyway, so didn't feel the pain of the cost.

Typically now my car has decided to go wrong… I smell expensive problems afoot :-(
    Many thanks to thisisguitar for the "Ultimate" attenuator - I've spent the best part of the weekend completely dismantling and rebuilding it.

The *concept* of it is actually good, up to a point. But as well as being badly designed in one major respect and an inherent risk to any amp other than a 16-ohm one (and even then, not ideal), it was unbelievably shoddily made for a supposedly commercial product. In fact, so bad that it was borderline potentially dangerous and could never have passed any safety certification, as well as increasing its potential harm to the amp. DIY prototype standard at best, really.

I'll post a write-up about what I found later.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    No problem @ICBM, I feel like I've actually given you work to do!! 

Just glad I didn't decide to keep it, or worse sell it on.

No problem @ICBM, I feel like I've actually given you work to do!!
    Not at all - this was for my own interest. I was curious about the concept and wanted to find out how that solid-state bit worked - which I have. Better, I've done it without destroying the unit and made it potentially useful, especially if I go further and fit it with a loop. Somewhat to my surprise given what I first thought when I looked inside it!

Just glad I didn't decide to keep it, or worse sell it on.
    Same here - I don't think I would be happy about selling it even with the work I've done, these days. The potential legal consequences of selling something mains-powered without a certification history and it ever causing trouble mean that it's probably best not to risk it.

In some ways sad that's what our world has come to, but I totally understand why it's necessary.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom