Suhr Badger- 6l6s instead of el34s but not kt66s??

CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
hi guys, I have a Badger 30 with el34s and read somewhere a post by Suhr saying that they can be swapped for 6l6s but no kt66s; I thought that 6l6s and kt66s are interchangeable? Do you have any technical assumptions-advice as to why I shouldn't put kt66s? I wouldn't expect it to turn into a JTM but I'd like to try, were it safe.. The amp is self-biasing with ss rectifier iirc and if it makes any difference.. Thanks, T.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    If it'll take 6L6GC's "electrically" it should take KT66's. However, looking at a photo of it I suspect the reason is that they simply won't fit inside the box! KT66's are big bottles :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    Email John Suhr and ask him.
    He is one of the most accessible people in the biz.

john@suhrguitars.com

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    Just got word from Suhr support,

kt66s won't hurt the Badger, they just didn't like how it sounded when they tried them
    I'm tempted now,,
    ok so a pair of gold lions has been in the badger for a few hours.
    though they sound old and woody, they may be somewhat anispiring. they did mellow out the eq a bit.
    I ll probably give them a few days to make up my mind.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I'd give them a few hours use, the Chinese KT66 I had sounded much better after about 10 hours or so.  You might also want to up the bias a little as the modern KT66's seem to sound best at 6L6GC bias levels which will be a bit higher than the EL34's.  
    ESchap said:
    I'd give them a few hours use, the Chinese KT66 I had sounded much better after about 10 hours or so.  You might also want to up the bias a little as the modern KT66's seem to sound best at 6L6GC bias levels which will be a bit higher than the EL34's.  
    Thanks @ESchap, that's what I thought too. I'm afraid I cannot do anything with the bias though.
    edited October 2013
    Ok, after about 15 hrs with the kt66s, I decided I like the stock el34s more. As i said, The kt66s sounded a bit more woody and old and mellow but the amp lost some presence. There is a tube that sits between the 2 sonically iirc, the 6c smth.. I might give them a try if I move the kt66s. But throwing kt66s in a badger 30 is doable and safe and does affect the tone. Then it's just a matter of taste. Brgrds,