NPD: Empress Compressor

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
After much gnashing of teeth I finally bought an Empress Compressor.

I wanted proper rack / studio compressor control of the parameters and as a bassist I wanted something that doesn't roll off the low end. Most pedal compressors roll off and on a guitar or even a 4 string it's not much of an issue. But I play a 5 and the reaction from most pedal compressors for the low notes is very different than on the others.

The Empress arrived yesterday and is very easy to set up. The instructions have a few suggested settings from light compression to squashed Country chick-pickin type things.

My low end is back completely and it sounds just brilliant - in that the tone of the bass is accurate. There doesn't seem to be any colouration of the tone itself, just highly controllable compression.

It wasn't cheap, in fact I think it is the most I've ever spent on a pedal, but I looked at it as a proper rack / studio compressor that just happened to be in a pedal enclosure.

I'm in the middle of a board rebuild so it isn't complete, but here it is with a few things I was experimenting with

The only slight downside is that the control names are in a very stupid colour that is difficult to see. No doubt I'll be adding a nice white sticker to the front of it at some point.

Very pleased with it indeed!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I nearly bought one of these last year, just missed out on it on e-bay I'm sure.

They sounded great on the vids! Glad it's working out for ya! :)

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787
    it does sound very nice :)

I'll put it on my "maybe" list ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • can't go wrong with empress, happy NPD!
  • can't go wrong with empress, happy NPD!
    yup

I know it will be a great pedal without even trying it. 
    They dont make bad pedals. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    I'm wondering about their Phaser now.

I love a bit of phaser!
  • Damn it, you just reminded me or my superdelay GAS, which made me look, which made me see they are on offer.... damn it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom