Newbie saying hello.. and a couple of projects I have on the go..

Hello fretboarders...

Ive been "lurking" a while on the forum , GASing over various mods and projects going on here and thought Id better join up and take the plunge!

I dont know if its considered bad form for a newbie to start a thread (it is on some forums!) and couldnt find anywhere to just introduce myself .. so im killing two birds with one stone

Got my first ever 2 "mod" projects on the go at the moment.

Project one is my old 1990 squire strat that I bought when I was 16 that has been residing in my folks loft, I decided she was due a bit of tlc and an upgrade, so teaming up with my wife, who is a keen amateur artist - the old girl (the strat, not the wife) is getting a hand painted artwork finish, new pickups to rock harder in my 90s pop punk covers band, and some general tlc.. Ill start a thread on this one when I work out how to post the pictures.. im up to the sanding/polishing stage at the mo of the lacquer on top of the hand painted artwork

Its a great project to work on together, and also ive found the mrs now pesters me to buy more guitars that she can paint on! result!!!

Project two is more mental..

I bought one of these

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Deluxe-12-String-Electric-Guitar-by-Gear4music/YEJ

For peanuts, as id always fancied an electric 12 and I want to try and a) bring it to to playable standard, b) pimp it up with new hardware and pickups, c) let the mrs hand paint another guitar and d) I fancied a challenge! (which Im sure it will be)

So... what to do with the cheap G4M 12 string strat??... add toaster pickups to ricky-fy it? humbuckers? leave it as single coils? decisions decisions ..

Mad ideas welcome!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I look forward to seeing those hand painted guitar designs.

There's some help with image posting problems in this thread ....
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/14957/posting-pictures-a-little-help
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    Welcome mate.
    :)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Welcome! Yeah, you're ok to start treads mate :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Welcome, @bevanjon74   :)

Yup - newbies posting threads very welcome indeed!

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    welcome to the madhouse...
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • Welcome @bevanjohn74

You're strat story makes me wish I'd not destroyed my own late 90's strat as I would now have something to mod as well.

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Wotcher ! :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    Welcome! I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing the hand-painting - sounds very cool.
    What sort of stuff do you play in your band?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Welcome @bevanjon74

There's loads of knowledgeable people on here who are always willing to help,newbie or not.It's a great forum.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Cheers guys - nice and friendly welcome! @bigmonka we play 90s into more modern pop punk Green Day, blink, good Charlotte, bowling for soup, weezer etc good fun music . My music tastes range from the Beatles to Metallica and everything in between mind! Looking forward to getting stuck into the forum :o)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    Cheers guys - nice and friendly welcome! @bigmonka we play 90s into more modern pop punk Green Day, blink, good Charlotte, bowling for soup, weezer etc good fun music . My music tastes range from the Beatles to Metallica and everything in between mind! Looking forward to getting stuck into the forum :o)
    That sounds like the kind of music I listened to as a teenager - and funnily enough exactly the kind of thing which recently I've been thinking would be really fun to play in a band. Loads of energetic and fun songs, I bet its great!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Exactly! We are 40 ish year olds re living our teen/early 20s music with a few more modern ones thrown into the mix. Goes down a storm in pubs, everyone knows basket case, teenage dirtbag and the likes - it's music that makes you grin ! We are called Stiflers mom - our criteria is any song that sounds like it should be in an American pie movie we'll cover! Plenty of Palm muting on my epi LP jr I can tell ya!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Welcome, can't wait to see pics of your misses handy work.