DIY cab question

What's Hot
I'm toying with the idea of building my own cab. A 2x10" angled cab (vertical standing).

Would there be any wisdom in using a bass guitar speaker and a guitar speaker?

So...My thinking is that the bass speaker add more bottom end (as a 10" bass speaker will have a lower frequency response I assume), and the guitar speaker more mid/high end response. Thus the cab would have a bit more bottom end to it than your average guitar 2x10"?

Or am I being a bit silly?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    Not really, the bass response is more likely to be tailored to the size of the cabinet and the proportions of the baffle board and the distance between the edges of the two adjoining cones.

The best low frequencies seem to come from the back of a cone in practice so a tuned and ported cabinet will sound deeper, bear in mind that there are few real bass frequencies in a guitars natural timbre and we are talking low mids really.

Putting a bass guitar cone in a very small box will make it sound just as honky as a guitar speaker.

Size is important, two 10" cones in a box the same size as a two 12" box will have almost the same amount of low extension. (so just a swapped baffle board). It will likely sound a little sweeter on overall tone and probably more articulate with the 10s. BUT in the end different makes of cone will have a large impact on the tone anyway. Lots of country/steel guitarists favour a 15" cone to round out the harshness rather than add depth.

YMMV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ESBlonde cheers. I did have a suspicion that perhaps the cab size was more relevant.

how would a 1x10" sound in cabinet designed for a 1X12"? 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    @ESBlonde cheers. I did have a suspicion that perhaps the cab size was more relevant.

how would a 1x10" sound in cabinet designed for a 1X12"? 
     Surprisingly similar subject to the brand and design, possibly less 'warmth' but more articulate. Again the character of the individual cone would be very relevant.

That said I have owned and used 10" cones a number of times through my playing career and still keep a Celestion 10" 60w in a little home made cab for simple lightweight applications.

My main cab is a JBL 2 x 12" though.