Yes I know its the Daily Fail, but its in other papers too..............giant hornets...........

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Have a LOL.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

@Fretwired

What's that crawling up your Back?

;-)
    Probably a big hornet called Bertie ... :-)

We have native hornets in the UK - Vespa crabro that can grow to between 2.5 cm and 4 cm in length. People just think they're large wasps.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    A bloke I work with keeps bees and he's been on about this for a while so I don't think it's just a scare story.

We need to take the approach the Australians have adopted to deal with mosquitos:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Nice of the Daily Fail to push out a bunch of disinformation and roll a couple of separate species into one, although to be fair their journalists aren't the only ones that are too lazy to google.

Asian giant Hornets in China = Vespa mandarinia
    Asian Hornets causing a problem in France = Vespa velutina nigrithorax
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    A bloke I work with keeps bees and he's been on about this for a while so I don't think it's just a scare story.

We need to take the approach the Australians have adopted to deal with mosquitos:

NO POOFTERS! 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think they're awesome.
    My V key is broken
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    holnrew said:
    I think they're awesome.
    Giant hornets, or poofters?

;)

I do think the giant hornets are amazing, I'm just glad they're also faaaaaaaaaar away. I do with there were more colossal insects though perhaps footlong ants... perhaps a pet praying mantis you could put on a lead and take for walks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I know it is poofters riding (I say) on giant hornets all blinged up.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Seen an African gain hornet. They are scary as hell, and give off a bassy buzz that reminds you of their size. As Sporky pointed out 8x the volume of a wasp. And scary. My brother has to carry an epi pen in case he gets stung as he's allergic (as I suspect, are the dead chinamen )
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I saw a hornet in the UK about 18 years ago. Bloody scary beast! we were walking down a footpath in some woods and it suddenly appeared in front of us hovering menacingly. It did a little 'threatening' mini lunge at us and stopped, but that was enough, we were hotfooting it in the other direction. It looked huuuuuge, but I think that was because we only ever see wasp size usually.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    It gets worrying when you can count the wing beats.

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    50mm sounds plenty big enough to me, and quite a lot larger (rather than a little bit larger) than a common wasp. I reckon a 6mm stinger is also quite a lot larger than that of a wasp, along with the amount of venom they deposit. If I see an aggressive-looking 3in hornet in a Japanese forest, I'm going to look to get out pretty sharpish.
    Use Your Brian
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited October 2013
    Myranda said:
    I do think the giant hornets are amazing, I'm just glad they're also faaaaaaaaaar away. I do with there were more colossal insects though perhaps footlong ants... perhaps a pet praying mantis you could put on a lead and take for walks
    For what it's worth, I was in the front garden chatting to the neighbours yesterday and four of the fuckers swung by. At least I think there were four - hard to tell when everybody's scattering. I may have squealed a bit.

And possibly weed.

EDIT: Of course, I can't confirm whether they're the ones the article mentioned. There's no way in hell I'm getting close to one of the evil little bastards to check.
    <space for hire>
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    They wouldn't have been Asian Giant Hornets, probs European Hornets. Smaller, less aggressive and less venomous by all accounts. About as aggressive as a honey bee apparently - i.e. not particularly aggressive - so I think I'd rather come across a European Hornet than a normal wasp. You got lucky ;-)
    Use Your Brian