Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

General Fret Polishing

What's Hot
I love it when my guitars some back with dressed shiny frets. As well as looking great, they feel better too

What's the best solution for polishing frets on a day to day basis (other than playing)

Would brasso wads work? What to avoid and what to do?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 428
    I've used Brasso a few times with excellent results - just remember to mask off the fretboard!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    I've heard of people using ketchup for really bad tarnishing. Is this a myth?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I don't like using any kind of "product" on the fretboard. Over time it's going to seep into the wood and that's probably not a good thing in the long run.

If you really want to polish your frets on a regular basis I'd just use a piece of micro mesh and a fret protector.
  • Gassage said:
    I've heard of people using ketchup for really bad tarnishing. Is this a myth?

No, ketchup does actually work.  But like anything liquid I don't rate them long-term.  I completely agree with @Maynehead and would stick to a dry solutions and masking.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    I've used wire wool (finest grade) when cleaning up really nasty fret boards. Feels amazing after, but probably not something that should be done all that regular?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    If you're keeping them shiny on a frequent basis it's usually enough to keep the strings clean and giving the board a good wipe with a clean cloth. I wouldn't use Brasso without masking up the board.
    I've read that some musos use a polishing cloth called Gorgomyte but I've not tried it (keep meaning to but never get round to it).
    There's another one called Miracle Cloth (I think) that's supposedly exactly the same, I think Amazon sell it.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    edited February 2015
    Gorgomyte fret cloth. About £15 from the USA. Enough to do 50 guitars! I do mine about once a year depending on the level of tarnishing. In between I just wipe the strings down after prolonged playing which also should help the frets. I used to use a "Swipe" cleaner too but mines knackered now. Ooo, available over here now...got mine on eBay from the U.S. http://www.bandshop.co.uk/GHS-Gorgomyte-Treated-Cleaning-Cloth-p/BS-GHSA6.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiAgfymBRCEhpTR8NXpx1USJAAV0dQyCjgkDazAlS_CdBv9uk73BrS0J047Hn3bBg_GUl7zYBoC8pPw_wcB

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    I also use 6000 grit rubberised cloth sandpaper.  its called micro mesh. flexible, easy to use and gets the frets very shiny indeed.

Maynehead said:
    If you really want to polish your frets on a regular basis I'd just use a piece of micro mesh and a fret protector.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Silvo is much better than Brasso.
  • So long as it's vintage Silvo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    I have used loads of methods.
    you can just leave it at steel wool 0000 grade or then follow up with micromesh
    you can use jewellers rouge on a dremel buffer

but a tube of autosol will last you a lifetime and do a great job.

I steel wool my frets every single string change.
    I often oil the board at this time as well

Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    The Gorgomyte cloths are really good, but Silvo works fine and raw linseed oil for the board does as good a job

• You could try Chrome Frets which, err, polishes yer frets and cleans yer strings. Not for maple boards IIRC.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I use cymbal cleaner once a month or so. Does the job just fine. This thread has got me thinking about using coca cola though. You've seen what that stuff does to rusty coins!!

• Jaden said:

@Jaden - Do you just steel wool and oil?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited February 2015
    I've just ordered a stick of Jewellers rouge and some pointy felt dremel attachments. Should work a treat I reckon :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    Look for something called 'Miracle Cloth' on ebay.
    It's the same stuff as Gorgomyte but only costs a couple of quid as opposed to nearly £20.
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251

Jaden said:

@Jaden - Do you just steel wool and oil?
    yea man, if the board is clean, its easy to keep lean in this way.. no buildup of crap etc. keeps the frets nice and shiney etc..
    i do get through a set of string every week or two so its gets a lot of attention.
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• Sassafras said:
    Look for something called 'Miracle Cloth' on ebay.
    It's the same stuff as Gorgomyte but only costs a couple of quid as opposed to nearly £20.
    I agree FYI it now comes with LEMON OIL impregnated. I use it all the time. along with http://crimsonguitars.com/shop/fret-polishing-rubber?search= fret rubber&category_id=90

Very very effective. A quickie with a rubber, then wipe with a Miracle Cloth with lemon oil, look into the mirror finish. Smile and get rocking.
    ^ That looks like a useful little thing especially if it removes file marks.