Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

General Fret Polishing

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited February 2015
    I use Peek polish and a cloth for polishing silver.  I then use a pencil eraser and that's it!  

For day to day you could just use the silver polishing cloth and then the eraser to buff them up a wee bit so you could.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 460
    I can't remember exactly what it is called, but I got a (maybe 'Planet Waves' ?) kit with fretboard protector and fine abrasive, which is quite good.  Whatever system you use though the fretboard protector is great, simple and makes it quick and easy to work on the frets without worry about knackering the fingerboard.  You could then use whichever abrasive you wanted.

Since I've mostly been playing Parker guitars, that hasn't been necessary though, as they have stainless steel frets that always seem to stay shiny and clean, and are very resistant to wear.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I had one of those Planet Waves things. It was all right but was overpriced for what you get.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Another vote for micromesh here. Right up to 12000 grade. I like those babies to shine.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184

Aren't Brasso and Silvo basically the same thing? If you look at the contents, I think they're identical. Perhaps not.

In any case, I've always found that Brasso cleans pretty well but doesn't last. I don't know why. It just seems to go back to the way it was really quickly. It's like it leaves some kind of residue that attracts dirt. Maybe it's a cunning plan to sell more Brasso.

I've started using Blue Magic polish. It does a much better job and lasts longer. It's worth repeating though: mask off the fingerboard when using anything on the frets.