Pickup Magnet Swaps

I have just ordered some mags from Cermag. 1 each of Alnico 2,4 and 5. Thinking is that the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups that are on the way have Ceramic mags and are supposedly quite bright. If I don't like them I'd rather spend £1.20 each on the Alnico mags and learn a new skill than sell them on and try for another set.

Think it'll be the 5 in the bridge and 4 in the neck with the option to use the 2 in the neck. If all goes well I'll have a spare to use in something else.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I did this a few weeks ago now with some paf style pickups I had in the house. The original magnets were a V in the bridge and II in the neck and I could never get them to balance well. Bridge was either too harsh or neck too bassy. Swopped them both for alnico iv and its been like getting a new set of pickups I'm very happy with them now.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

You two should check out the Seymour Duncan forums.

Every post is about swapping magnets! If theyre so great would they be needing a magnet swap?

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    The initial interest was from a few years ago with the Duncan Alternate-8 and I saw a few threads then, there have been a couple on here too. I've got a thread on the SD blog saved and it seems ridiculously easy.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12000
    tFB Trader
    Alnico four is great in a neck pickup .... that's what my ASL Blackmachine Blackbirds use. Beware using alnico 8 in low winds ... can sound a touch brittle unless the pickup is designed for it. Don't ignore the less commonly seen alnicos ... you will have to get them in from the US mind ... alnico 3 is wonderful on PAFs ... alnico 6 on single coils .... and there is an alnico 9 up at the high output end ... I've tried and used all of these.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message