Vox V125 2x12 combo

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1619
Hi all, I've been offered one of these in a trade, a 1981 model.

Does anyone know much about these? The one I've been offered is a 2x12 with alnico Blue speakers.

I'm guessing that there are some that know about these amps and can tell me if they are good reliable amps.

Thanks
Shaun
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    No, not really.

Not a classic Vox at all. Very heavy, not great sounding, rather complex, not all that well-built and slightly tricky to work on. I don't think they're that unreliable though.

The speakers won't be Alnico Blues either, they're blue-framed ceramic Fanes of no great quality or desirability. (Unless someone has actually fitted it with Blues, in which case they will have an extremely short life if you turn it up to any volume!)

If you get it cheap enough it's worth checking to see if it has the original Mullard valves, these are worth a bit nowadays if they're in good condition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1619
    Thank you, that tells me all I need to know.

I wondered why I've not seen many of these before
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    I had one when I was about 16....it was unreliable, my brother kindly fixed it, but he was fairly uncomplimentary about it's build quality. It was heavy, but as far as I can remember it sounded OK. I sold if to buy something smaller when I went to Uni. Mine did have Mullards though, but I don't think that was a big deal back then.