Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Crazy Guitar Superstitions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    On the rare occasions that I had a really good game (football) I would try to do everything the same, next time I played. Never worked though, as the great games were invariably followed by a total 'mare! No other superstitions, at all.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    I have a thing about straps and each of my guitars has a strap it 'owns' and if I put that strap on another guitar it's bad luck

And, playing live I always play on left hand side (stage right from audience)

Each of my guitars has its own strap and plastic spring-loaded pick holder.

I believe your preferred playing position is known officially "stage-left", the reference being from the performer's point of view. I also prefer stage-left. I always wear black (could be vest, T-shirt, polo shirt, jumper whatever) but it's always black.

I've carried an ECC83 that went microphonic, in the right pocket of my sheepskin jacket for so long that it's almost become a talisman that I can't do without.  
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I'm not aware of any superstitions whatsoever, there are occasionally ways of doing things I might prefer, but nothing that I have to do because it is or isn't lucky. 
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited February 2015
    I don't believe is superstitious clap-trap.  I believe that as long as I am good then God will take care of everything.
    LOL - Of course it's not whether you believe in God...it's whether God believes in you!  >:D<
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    In one of my old bands, the keyboardist had a little lamp thing (essentially a bare 240v bulb on a cable) which he used to illuminate his sheet music.  The bulb blew once, and the only thing he had to replace it with was a red bulb - utterly useless for reading by, but we had the best gig we ever had.  Ever since that, we'd have that red bulb plugged in somewhere on stage as some sort of good luck charm.

One night, we forgot to pack the bulb with the gear - we had the worst gig ever.  My amp died, the keyboards died, the drummer broke his snare, and we played like complete crap.

I remember that at one gig after that, one of us drove about 10 miles home purely to fetch the bulb after we forgot it again, as we dreaded performing without it.  Spookily, after we called it a day, we all got together for one final gig, and right at the end as we were playing our final chord, the red bulb blew, never to illuminate again. :-O
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited February 2015
    I'm not consciously superstitious apart from the things like fingers crossed, touch wood etc which is more of a learned habit that superstition. I've walked under ladders, stepped on cracks and whatever it is about black cats bringing bad luck, just a load of nonsense to me and in the same league as horoscopes. Now if you believe in it that's a different kettle of monkeys.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I never walk under a black cat
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11422
    When I used to play football the order of putting kit on was in part governed by how cold the dressing room was. I preferred to put my shirt on first but if the room was freezing cold then I wouldn't get my coat off for ages.

I used to jam occasionally with a drummer who always put an open guide book to Afghanistan in front of his kit.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2279
    Actually, I do always pretty much have the drummer to my right.
  • Nerine said:
    Actually, I do always pretty much have the drummer to my right.
    I think snare & hat in the right ear isn't quite as bad as ride in the left ;)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9817
    edited February 2015
    For me it's always shirt first, then jacket, and finally guitar. Never the other way around.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited February 2015
    Not so much a superstition - more a pet-hate; other people playing my guitars. Absolutely cannot bear it in any way, shape or form.

Obviously it's okay for me to play other people's guitars, as I'm very careful with them....

Also I'm with @Gassage - each has its own strap.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    HAL9000 said:
    For me it's always shirt first, then jacket, and finally guitar. Never the other way around.
    What about your trousers?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sassafras said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Don't be silly, no one could see the elephant trunk thong if he wore trousers.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9817
    edited February 2015
    Sassafras;520987" said:
    HAL9000 said:

Bugger! Knew I'd forgotten something.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I have to get the right strap for the guitar. It bugs me if it doesn't look right. My 335 looks ace with the pink hippy strap but it's all kinds of wrong on the black strat.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Not so much a superstition - more a pet-hate; other people playing my guitars. Absolutely cannot bear it in any way, shape or form.

Obviously it's okay for me to play other people's guitars, as I'm very careful with them....

Also I'm with @Gassage - each has its own strap.
    I don't mind other people playing my guitars as long as they play them well and not so loud that they wake the dead.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'm quite fussy about who plays my guitars.

I can name 3 who've played them all, and that includes me. @photek has also played them all.

BigJon did borrow my Strat for a jam so he could do some authentic SRV-style blues.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• No superstitions for me, just habits.

Each guitar has its own strap and I always have a plectrum on me when dressed. I've weaned myself off needing one when swimming and taking a shower!!

I always stand stage right, but that's history too. I wouldn't lose confidence etc by standing elsewhere.
  • I always carry a selection of plectrums in the right hand back pocket of my jeans.  My fiancee even got me a little pouch for them all... Also I always have one set of spare strings of the correct gauge/type in the hard case of every instrument I own.

This is like counselling.  I feel great.